Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Staten Island
Hi Guys,

I am currently 31 years old, male - going through an ALS scare.

About 3 years ago I developed twitching and cramping in left leg. I went to GP who referred me to a Neurologist. I had 2 EMG'S which were normal, normal reflexes and strength. I was told i had BFS and moved on, twitching away!

Fast forward until a couple of weeks ago - ache/cramp again left leg. Still twitching but I also feel real shaky when standing up, walking etc. I didn't notice any atrophy, can walk on heels and toes etc.

Does this sound like early onset ALS? I'm truly falling apart - I have a daughter coming in 2 months and can't stop crying thinking I won't be there for her and my wife. I even forgot today was my birthday until yesterday because I am so consumed with the fear.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I am sorry to be a bother

So the thing that was different was the shaky feeling? ( you had the cramps before and EMG was ok). I did not and still do not feel shaky and I am leg onset. First symptom ankle gave out. Go to your doctor but what you describe is not my experience or that of my family members who had this before me. ( and my ankle weakness preceded any twitching and I still only rarely have cramps)

thank you for your response Nikki - going to try and get a follow up appointment. Seems like you have to wait months to see any kind of neuro.

Your symptoms don''t sound like ALS at all. Anxiety and stress with a baby coming is probably what you are experiencing. Anxiety can bring on all the symptoms you describe. Get it taken care of before that baby comes! Good luck.

thanks for replying ECpara. I was able to get a neuro appt today (albeit a young, new doctor in practice). Hopefully he can help clear my head a bit!

I absolutely don't think you have to worry about ALS at all. It does look like you have anxiety. Which is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about and people from all walks of life experience it. Are you worried about finances or anything with the baby coming and stuff like that? Maybe, talk to your doctor about seeing a therapist about your fears. Hope you feel better soon. Congratulations about the baby. That's something special to look forward too. Also, you aren't a both for asking us a question or a opinion. It is the one's that keep going on and on after we respond that annoy the H---- out of me. Good luck, Kim

I meant not a bother.

thanks for replying Kim - not so much anxiety about baby, I started becoming a bit of a hypocondriac after a carcinoid tumor diagnosis about 2 years ago. Thankfully I am cancer free now, just worry about any little symptom it seems now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back