Scratching in larynx after drinking..aspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arne

Reason
Other
Country
DE
State
Germany
City
Berlin
Hi,
I have been followed for a few years because of widespread fasciculationsand my neurologist never exclude the possibility of ALS (he said he had seen cases like that, though very rare).
I would like to ask those with bulbar onset - often after I drink, I feel burning or scratching inthe larynx, as if the liquid got there. I need to clear my throat too. No choking or cough. Is that aspiration?

Did you take our advice and have a barium swallow study done?

Honey if you had bulbar onset ALS for a few years you would likely be dead now.

Stick to your doctors, we have answered you already in December.

All the best

I miss the PALS who were here a few years ago...helpful, kind, offering answers insread of repeating phrases with no value. This section is for undiagnosed so if you cnnot answer the question, dont waste your time..

Bliz, with all respect.

Please read the sticky down to the last line which says:

Finally, when we have answered your questions and it is not ALS or another motor neuron disease, it’s time to leave.

You have been answered here so should not be posting in other peoples threads here.

I DO know the answer, my husband died from bulbar onset and we worked with doctors and swallow studies. Waiting for that diagnosis we did not ask other terminally ill people to tell us what they went through, we worked with doctors for over 6 months to get the answer we never wanted. But just because you commented I will say to Arne, no what you describe is NOT aspiration, nor is it anything like bulbar symptoms. But I'm not a doctor, a swallow study is going to answer exactly what is going on.

Arne, tagging onto Tillie, my husband died of complications brought on by aspiration, having bulbar onset ALS. What you described is nothing like aspiration.
Blitz, the kind people you spoke of from a few years ago are all dead now! I am trying to figure out why you would be hanging around a forum like this for a couple of years when you are " interested in learning about ALS". Why would you fixate on a disease so horrific? Tillie is one of the most knowledgable people here, as well as one of the kindest. You would be better served someplace else.

Tillie, my comment was not aimed at you. It has been said many times that this section on forum was and should be only for undiagnosed - Pals havevtheir own sections. Telling people to leave is something against the philosophy of this forum. Trust me, Granpa Al, trfogey, bethu, joelc, halfin - i will never forget them and the forum in their time. It was so different. When pals commented, they said either 'yes i experienced that' or 'no i have not'. That is what people are looking for, not links to generic stickies. Otherwise this forum could be closed and contain only stickies..
I hang around as people do PM me and Im involved more than you think (e.g. in the GM6 drug research). I found true kindness here back in my dark days and decided to help as much as I can..no offence was intended at all

Blitz, just a few thoughts for you to consider:
- The banner at the top of the forum says that this is a support community for individuals affected by ALS/MND. The DIHALS sub forum is for people to ask questions, but it is assumed that they seek answers from people who have actual experience with the disease. If the PALS and CALS all leave this sub forum, where will the DIHALERS get their questions answered? If they are sincerely looking for answers, they want them from people who are living with or have lived with this disease, not from others who are also here with questions. If, on the other hand, they are here to convince people that they do have ALS despite neuros having told them to look elsewhere, then that brings me to my next point..
- Since the WONDERFUL Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014, this forum has been flooded with people who refuse to believe their doctors or anyone else and insist on trying to convince us that they have ALS. The problem with this is that it's exhausting for us. Sometimes I'm tempted, as you suggest, to stay away from this subforum altogether. The problem with that is that is that if we all do it it leaves people with valid questions and concerns at the mercy of other people whose only knowledge of ALS comes from D r Google. So far, we CALS and PALS have been unwilling to do that because in that case this subforum should be closed down. So, those people who just won't go away clog a system and drain energy that is much needed by the people this forum is intended for.
- People who've finally been asked to leave clearly have a problem of some sort, and they won't find help with it here, so it is a kindness to ask them to seek assistance elsewhere. I cannot imagine anyone who could be more compassionate that someone dealing with ALS, and tough love is still love.

I don't know your backstory, but apparently you are neither a PALS nor CALS, so I'm a bit surprised to see you lecturing Tillie, of ALL PEOPLE, on the philosophy of this forum. Sorry you're unhappy with the folks who are here, alive, now, but I promise you that that if the PALS and CALS here now who are so disappointing you could turn over their diagnosis along with control of this forum, that it would be all yours. Until that happens, you are free to leave. The rest of us are still waiting on a cure, if you know what I mean...

Did it again...sorry Nikki :oops: There for a minute I thought maybe the forum had developed a filter for snarky tone...

My husband has bulbar onset ALS. His throat never felt scratchy or burning, never felt like he had to clear his throat. Onset was slurred speech - the tongue fails to move properly. What you describe is certainly not aspiration. That is when you inhale fluids into your lungs and cough to the point you can't get your breath, and this happens when the tongue is beginning to really fail. Sorry you aren't happy with the comments on here but it is rather bewildering why you would fixate on this horrible disease. If your doctor didn't rule out ALS a few years ago, but you're still here with no progression of serious symptoms, I can safely say you can rule it out. And those stickies are for newbies on this site who have no idea about what ALS is. Usually their answers are there. If not they are welcome to ask more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back