Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
pittsburgh
hello all,
I am 22 years old and fearing I have ALS. I could be just freaking out because I am a worry wart but I am generally concerned . (note all these symptoms have just popped up out of no where). two days ago i woke with my finger curled up stiff but was able to move it I just felt stiff when I tried to close it all the way and its still sore 4 days later. I suspect I fell asleep with it bent all the way and that is the cause but not sure. Three days later I had woke up from a nap and my arm had felt overly fatigued like to the point where if I tried to do something I wouldn't be able to but even though this feeling was there I was still able to do the task. its still present today now today the fallowing day my legs feel shaky and I am un easy about them (more of over thinking than anything) I still have the same strength in them but they still feel off not un coordinated or anything like that but just a weird sense of fatigue. I am more concerned about my arm though it just showed up out of no where a week ago I was fine non of these symptoms where present now they are just showing up on day after another it seems like. I also have slight muscle twitches that I can feel and sort of see but I've had these for years since I was in high school. I would love to believe this is just me being a hypochondriac bringing on my own symptoms out of fear but I am not sure. after my mom being diagnosed with lung cancer I've really turned into a full blow worry wart about my health. and now I am generally freaking out I can barely function due to fear I feel depressed and extremely worried. (note fatigue is of left arm and both legs have that off feeling. all showed up within past 4 days) does this sound like als? I am not expecting a diagnoses but I need to ease my mind before I full on freak out.

Your post could be used in the summation of closing statements to convince a jury you have anxiety. :)

Edited. Forgot to add the smiley.

Nope. Not at all like ALS. Read the sticky for this subforum. I know you did not. You posted in the general forum and 2 minutes later here. There was not time to read it and if you had you would not have posted twice if at all
I am sorry about your mom. Very sorry. Understandable it triggered anxiety. Go see your doctor and in the meantime check out the health anxiety forum at anxietyzone. Good luck

sorry if any of you feel that I am wasting your time but this just freaked me out beyond belief and I am sure most of you can relate after seeing a loved one go through a terrible diagnoses and slowly not becoming themselves really make you worry about your own health. and having a 2 year old of my own doesn't help because I now am constantly thinking about what if this would be ALS or MS I don't want my son to see me hit rock bottom like I see my mom. I feel like a fool even bothering you guys with this post knowing most of you are dealing with als and probably have no time for a young fool like me, but I just honestly need peace of mind. but trust me I have considered this to just be anxiety do to my high stress level with my moms illness, going to college full time ,having a full time job and caring for my 2 year old son this is enough to drive anyone up a wall. but loosing strength and having some odd feeling in my arm and finger really concerned me. this concern in turn caused me to hit Google ( never ever ever, ever hit Google with symptoms) and of course the top one was ALS. I did my research and seen very conflicting list of symptoms some say even slight weakness is a sign others say total loss of power to even grab a cup is usually the first sign and or problems with speech or walking. this being said I found my self so immersed in ALS research I forced myself into a dark worrying place thinking that I now I have the symptoms of als and to be honest just the thought of this disease scared the living heck out of me and as I worried my symptoms got slightly worse. so that being said could some of you clear up a few things for me just so I can have peace of mind and also further my knowledge on this topic so I can in turn maybe help someone else who has this same fear. 1) what are the early stages of als . what do they look like. 2) when it does start is it muscle weakness or a fatigue feeling? 3) do these symptoms just pop up over night (like in my case) or are they gradual things. 4) do they effect one muscle group first then spread? again I am very sorry if I wasted any of your time truly I am but like stated before can someone answer some of these questions I have not only to ease my own mind (im the type that doesn't accept an awnser without reasoning) but to also maybe help someone else with these same fears somewhere down the line. I know there is a lot of misunderstanding/misrepresentations of this disease and symptoms so I would like to hear the truth from you guys.

thank you all so much

No, symptoms do not just appear overnight. So sorry about your mom. Please read the stickies.

You need to visit your doctor. Not for ALS but for anxiety.

You're asking for a lot of info With little apparent need for it so instead of one of us writing a novel, go read this first.

And when you're done with that, as noted twice above, read the sticky note at the top of this forum titled "New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!"

Most of your questions will be answered there. If they're not answered, then ask here.

:^)

Nikki I believe this thread is best closed.

Anxiety is treatable which is wonderful and I am so sorry about your mum.

My husband died from ALS 9 months ago, I have never had one single moment of anxiety about my own health, either whilst caring for him or since he died.

But I am very protective of the PALS here who are facing this disease and ask you now to STOP. Nikki gave you a website where you can share your anxiety. We can't take it on.

You have NO ALS symptoms, believe us, and get treatment for your anxiety for your childs sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back