Other
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
Hi guys. Im a 19 year old male.

Starting from about 5 or 6 months ago I noticed I had a lot of muscle twitches, mainly in my thighs, arms and back. If it tense or stretch the area in which the twitches are happening, they tend to go away. I went to my GP and she said this was probably due to stress. Then over the next few months, I noticed my arms felt cold some of the time (but not on the outside). Over the last month or so, my pinky on my left hand went numb for a few days and I got worried so I went to the doctor and again she said that its due to stress and anxiety. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my legs shake when I squat down for more than 5 or so seconds or when I try to balance myself on one foot, but I dont have any problem walking or running. I can stand on my toes and walk on my heels.

One day, after I went out shopping for about an hour, i came home and my legs felt so sore and they ached for much of the next day. My arms also felt like jelly for a few days and got sore after washing the dishes and other small activities. These seem to be things that go on and off because a few days ago I went for a decent run and was fine afterwards and the next day. Further, I have a kind of tingling/buzzing sensation in my legs some time. Also, for much of the last 2 weeks, i have been woken up every night by one of my arms being numb and it takes me a few minutes to shake them and get feeling back into them. Some days I have also had shaky hands.

I had a lot of anxiety before I had any of these symptoms and this has definitely gotten a lot worse due to me sitting at home googling all the possibilities. I've tried to stay calm and not worsen my anxiety but I just keep coming back to it. So yeah, does this sound like ALS to anyone? I've booked an appointment with a physio in a few days and I will be going to the doctor again but does anyone have any advice?

You need to read the stickies at the top of this thread. That will reassure you, your symptoms are not ALS.

Twice your doctor has told you that it is due to stress and anxiety. Apparently you don't believe a highly trained physician and you're going back again to which you will probably hear the same.

As you wrote,

("I had a lot of anxiety before I had any of these symptoms and this has definitely gotten a lot worse due to me sitting at home googling all the possibilities. I've tried to stay calm and not worsen my anxiety but I just keep coming back to it.")

You don't seem to "get it". But do read the first Thread by Dusty7... word for word.

If you can't deal with stress and anxiety at 19... you need counseling for it or the next 19 years of your life will be filled with failure and little accomplishment.

First, you clearly didn't read the stickies. A doctor told you your symptoms were due to stress and anxiety. You aren't about to get a different answer from us. Please leave this forum now. You have no reason whatsoever to be here. If you don't believe the doctor you are going to switch to someone else. But, in my opinion you are going to get the same answer. Good bye and good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back