Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
To all the kind people on this forum,

I posted here a few months earlier about some symptoms which concerned me greatly. Since then I went to my local doctor who referred me to a neurologist (mostly for my peace of mind) who I will be visiting on the 6th of February.

However before I go, I wanted to ask a few questions. 1: My doctor told me that twitches are rarely benign and most often indicate damage to the nervous system, is this true? 2: In the four months or so since I last posted, if the weakness felt in my hand and foot was due to MND and not merely perceived, how much would it have progressed? 3: How rare is MND in people under 20? I asked my doctor this and he simply stated that diseases of the nervous system are rare for anyone.

By the way, I am an 18 year old male turning 19 in two weeks.

Again, thank you all for your valuable time, it is appreciated more than you realise. I wish everyone here nothing but the best.

Worried, please read (or reread) the stickies. They have our answers to your questions. Retyping them is very difficult for many of our members, which is why they were created.

1 no everyone twitches and there is something called bfs as well ( refer to sticky) 2 no way to tell 3 extremely. Extremely and virtually all the very rare young cases are familial which you would know about as multiple relatives would have died very young. Also refer to sticky for stats under 30

Thank you both for your replies, any comments are greatly appreciated.

Obviously my GP is not an expert in the area of twitches or MND and did not do much to ease my conscience.

In reference to my second question, although it may be impossible to tell how quickly progression may take, would it be reasonable to say a person would notice some worsening of their symptoms in four to six months?

I will indeed re-read the stickies thoroughly. I just had some general questions.

Again, thank you.

Please just read the stickies and leave it at that for now. Only ask anymore question please after your evaluation fromthe neurologist. ASK HIM YOUR QUESTIONS NOT US. You are relentless in your questions. Many of the PALS and CALS on here are physically worn out and it takes tremendous energy for them to answer every single question you ask. It's kind of rude of you to even ask in my opinion. Call a doctor if you have questions and if you don't care for your current one switch to someone else. It's really that simple.

In response to how rare is MND under 20. Some stats....there's a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of ALS under age 30, the further you are from that age the even less your chances. Although diseases of the nervous system are rare for everyone, they are particularly rare for this age group. And "twitches are rarely benign"? I believe the opposite is true. Good grief, I get twitches every time I worry about anything (in my eyelids especially). Have no idea where your doctor came up with that little piece of misinformation.

I'm terribly sorry if I have made a rude impression on some of you. I've remained as polite as possible and to upset anyone is the last thing I want to do. However, I honestly didn't believe four questions would constitute being relentless. I'm just trying to learn more, as my profile states.

Thank you to everyone who replied, I won't post again. You've led me to some fantastic information and that is all I can ask for.

P.s, I decided to donate to this forum out of appreciation for what you do and to apologise to anyone I have possibly upset. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back