Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Mechanicsburg
I am a physically active 66 year old male with sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. I had three bouts of Piriformis Syndrome, the last one causing severe pain in my left leg going down to my foot. Around that time that when walking I would occasionally tilt off to the left and end up off the sidewalk. I would also have a sensation of my foot slipping even when my foot is stable. Occasionally the tip of my left shoe will snag the rug. I attributed this to effects of the Piriformis.

I am now having a problem with my right knee, had an x-ray and am due for an MRI. It occurred to me that over the last 4-6 months, both legs feel chronically tight and achy. Several muscles in my calves and thighs are sore, though not very painful. I am constantly stretching and doing massage. I have had to break up my walks into smaller lengths since the longer walks are more difficult since last summer.

I tend minimize health issues, dislike medical tests and avoid them if possible. I have wondered if I should raise with my doctor the issue of at least throwing ALS into the hopper. Familial ALS is pretty rare, but my mother died of ALS in 2003 at age 83. It took years to figure out what was wrong with her legs before she was diagnosed. She handled it magnificently and died with dignity. I am not terrified of ALS, but don't want to ignore the possibility either. Thoughts on anything other that waiting and seeing what happens? Minimal types of tests that might tell something?

Read that before I posted.

With your age, the fact your mother had it, and occasional foot drop, maybe schedule an appointment with a neuro familiar with ALS and have an EMG done. At least you'll have more information and perhaps can rule it out. Let us know if you do. Good luck!

One family member with ALS does not put anyone at any higher risk of developing ALS.

I agree, see your doctor and a neurologist to rule this out.

>>Read that before I posted

Good. Then you know that pain does not indicate ALS. (At least at this early stage)
So that should give you an indication that something else is responsible.

Familial ALS is 10 - 25% of reported cases, depending on which source you view.

As already mentioned, with ALS in the family, you should request a referral to a knowledgable Neurologist and have an EMG done.

Request it tomorrow, stay the hell away from Dr. Google until that's behind you.

I am due for my 6 month medical check in February. Will mention to the doctor at that point for us to at least keep it in mind. I am not in a hurry to get testing and will see if my doctor feels an EMG is indicated at this point.

Whatever you do. Please stay away from Dr. Google. You definitely need to be seen by a neurologist. You have something going on but I wouldn't be worrying at this point that it's ALS. Best of luck to you. Until you get more tests results take a step back from the computer. You don't want to add more anxiety to your current problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back