Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Madison
I posted asking questions several months ago and looking for input on some of my symptoms. I'm sorry if i offend anyone for returning. I know you guys get alot of individuals that come back asking the same questions and arguing with you. I'll avoid bothering you guys in the future. My symptoms are about the same other than a reduction of pain in my hands which is great. I still have hand weakness and i still have some small indications of atrophy and twitching in hands. I did go to a neurologist and got a brain/spine MRI as well as a EMG/NCS. the neuro didn't seem to concerned with my symptoms which is also great. He did however only take about five minutes on my EMG, only testing on a few areas in my forearm and hand. I've heard that they should take longer than that. Everything was clean. I still had no answer to my pain and other symptoms but just decided to ignore it. The neuro said he believed it would eventually go away. The last few months i've also started getting back/neck pains and cramps as if i sprained it or something. Also having some visual issues. left shoulder pretty weak.
Is it even slightly possible that the EMG was done too early and or not preformed everywhere it needed to be in order to completely rule out als?
Should i bite the bullet and just ignore my issues?...maybe it's just stress causing the new symptoms. It has been a rough year with a lot of deaths in the family. Should i seek out another opinion?

If the neuro did the EMG on the muscles he identified as potential problems from your history/ exam as it sounds like he did then you should let it go at least as far as ALS is concerned.
When I had my diagnostic EMG the neuro ( not the one who did my exam) asked me to show her how my weakness manifested. I did. She said " it sounds like this is the problem is here" inserted a needle and in less than 2 minutes found the abnormalities consistent with ALS. She then continued to test surrounding muscles until she was satisfied she had defined the involved area.
My point is that they know which muscles to look at because they are expert

In your new Thread here you used the word "pain" three times. Read the first Thread here by Dusty7.

It's been a rough year for a lot folks here too... eating (some by PEG), sleeping, breathing (some with assistance devices), walking (if they can) and just talking (if they still can).

I'd consider the bullet (biting) if I were you.

Trying not to be disrespectful. i'll read it.

Joe, no problem.

Dusty7's Sticky Thread was posted after your first Thread. Probably why you missed it.

My apology for not dating your first Thread to this one.

(Dang! Did I just apologize?)

No need to apologize. I can truly understand the frustration. especially after reading some of the posts you guys respond to. I don't want to put out an it's all about me kind of vibe. I can truly appreciate the struggles some of you guys have to go through just to respond to us.

Al, your soft side is showing again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back