Other
Country
GER
State
NRW
City
DUS
Dear members,

first of all I wish you all a happy new year and all the very best.

I wrote to this forum a while ago when my symptoms started and was reassured by some very kind people here that they sounded anxiety related, which helped me to relax a lot (the thread was closed, which is why I opened a new one).
However now I am here again as symptoms have progressed and increased to a worrisome degree and I've had another EMG that showed high MUPs in my hand (2,4mV). Both thigh muscles were also tested and were normal though. I am now very confused and was hoping someone here might be able to tell me wether high MUPs in only one muscle are reason for concern?

My symptoms are:
- Fasciculations that started in feet and are now everywhere including legs, arms, hands, back and face (taking Lyrica now, which isn't helping)
- Very clear atrophy (confirmed by doctors) in left thenar muscle (one neuro said this might be the result of a broken thumb I had as a kid). High MUP was in RIGHT hand though
- Burning muscles and increasing weakness in right arm/shoulder for 7+ months
- Right calf cramps, dent outside of ankle along with contstant inner 'ticklish' feeling and fascics
- Myclonic jerks in hands, fingers and feet at night
- Terrible fatigue
- Tense muscles in left thigh, right arm

So sorry to be back here with more questions, I would just very much appreciate some insight regarding those large MUPs. The neuro told me to come back if I start dropping things or tripping which left be worried :-(

Thanks so much for your time (again),
Keddy

High MUPs in an EMG can indicate benign fasciculations. The fact you have facics all over your body points away from ALS. Onset of ALS typically starts subtly in one area. Burning, jerks, and tenseness are not symptoms of ALS. Pain and fatigue usually only happen to those in the very advanced stages of the disease (after years of diagnosis like my husband). To me it sounds like your doctor was telling you in a funny way to not worry about ALS. Good luck getting to the bottom of your problems but I don't think ALS is something to worry about. Good luck.

Thank you for your kind and helpful reply. I do hope these high MUPs were meaningless. A young neuro did the EMG and got concerned about them, so he called a more senior neuro in to have a look. He was the one who told me not to worry and to come back if things progresses symptom-wise. I was so confused that I didn't als about it and have been worrying ever since. Your thoughts on this have given me some more confidence though, so thanks again and to you and your husband my best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back