Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Dallas
First off, thank you for providing a forum / opportunity for others to pose questions and concerns. I have been having some weird symptoms over the last 45 days that I wanted to get your thoughts on.

Beginning during the week prior to thanksgiving, i began to have left shoulder /upper arm pain - it felt like i had been "frogged" or punched in the left shoulder and caused discomfort during sleep. By Friday, December 5th, I had left shoulder pain that had felt like a pulsating sensation and fatigueness (like i had just done 150 tricep reps) and woke up with both my left and right arm asleep. I dismissed it until the next morning when I woke up on at 2am with my left arm asleep and my entire body in a "coarse tremor" (as described by the ER physician). Went to the ER that night and was referred to a neurologist which I went to on December 12th.

During the week between 12/5 and 12/12, I had the same left shoulder / upper arm pain and a slight tremor in my left arm. I also had muscle twtiches all over my body but primarily left leg. The 12/12 neurologist visit resulted in low CK levels (below the 12/5 ER visit), slightly low magnesium levels, MRI that showed some wear and tear to C5 and C6 and "abnormal reflexes"; she set a follow up appointment for 45 days later. I specifically asked the dr if she thought it was an ALS risk (after spending too much time on internet, etc) but based upon the existing symptoms at 12/12, she said that she didn't see me at risk for ALS (i.e. the numbness, no clinical weakness, etc.)

Since the 12/12 visit, I have continued to have fairly continuous muscle twitches (primarily lower left leg from knee to ankle) and upper left arm/shoulder pain. Specifically, I can't hold up my left arm for very long (say to read an Ipad) without it feeling like it's burning from within but have continued to do workouts 2-3x a week and haven't had any meaningful issues (although I feel like my left side is struggling a slight bit vs. the right). Additionally, as I've begun to check my body everyday, I've noticed that my left peck and left bicep are harder to flex than the right side...although no noticeable strength difference.

Haven't had any other tests (EMG, etc.) but 45 days of stressing I'm sure is starting to strain me...would be interested to her if anyone had similar experiences and outcomes.

> but have continued to do workouts 2-3x a week and haven't had any meaningful issues (although I feel like my left side is struggling a slight bit vs. the right). Additionally, as I've begun to check my body everyday, I've noticed that my left peck and left bicep are harder to flex than the right side...although no noticeable strength difference.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Listen to your doctor......you don't have ALS. Without going into detail, (and I did thoroughly read your concerns), nothing you mention would point to ALS. You're an active guy, be thankful!

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back