Hi I'm a 19 year old boy that thinks I might have ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godisgood44

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
Hi I've read the stickies & I might be wasting your time but I can't stop worrying that I may have ALS. My left side of my body feels weak/heavy, my foot & toes twitch & my calf cramps up a couple times a day. My left arm feels super weak & my shoulder feels heavy/fatigued. These symptoms just started happening about a week ago, would I have all of these symptoms all at once if I had ALS? I might just be paranoid, I know ALS is very rare, & even rarer for younger people but I can't stop thinking about it.

Also I noticed my balance is very bad if I stand on just my left foot & my right side feels normal. Sorry once again if I seem crazy, I don't mean to waste you guys time.

Please read the sticky in this topic if you haven't already. You are just being paranoid if it has only been a week; there's no need to worry! Although I don't have much experience, I have NEVER heard of ALS symptoms starting all at once like that.

Best,

Ken

Yes, I don't mean to be rude but you are defiinitely being paranoid. Please log off and call your own doctor about your symptoms. Don't get on Dr. Google. He is a quack and only will cause you more anxiety. Never heard of ALS symptoms starting as you described either. Read the stickies again a couple of more times. You will find some answers there. The rest of your questions please refer to a doctor about. Relax and enjoy being 19!

"The incidence of ALS is roughly 2 in every 100,000 . . . and of that . . . only 5% are diagnosed prior to the age of 30 . . . and the further away from 30 you are, the more diminished your chances.

So let's do some numbers:

2/100,000 is 0.002% chance (which is about the same chances of getting hit by lightning according to the Red Cross).

Now let's take your age into consideration. Again, only 5% are diagnosed prior to age 30, so to get that percentage, simply take 0.002% and multiply it by 5% (i.e. 0.05). That gives a percentage of 0.0001% or a 1 in million chance . . . and that's at best. Again, the further away from 30 you are, the more diminished your chances".

Nothing you describe sounds like the onset of ALS. You don't have ALS. Get on with your young life and find something more constructive to occupy your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back