Other
Country
Uk
State
South west
City
Bristol
Hi All,

I'm hoping for some advice for people who know about als. I went to my gp as I have shaky muscles on exertion. For example, when I reach out my arms shake, when I go down stairs my legs shake, when I bend over my torso shakes, my feet shake when I move them up and down, my shoulders shake when I raise and lower them, etc etc, you get the picture. Doesn't stop me doing anything. So I went to my gp expecting them to say low blood sugar etc but the gp said, well have you heard of mnd (als) maybe we should get you checked out. Now I am 28 years old, female. My partner was furious as I came away utterly terrified and says I should get a new gp (this one does seem hopeless). Anyway, all the research I've done says muscle shaking isn't an als symptom and especially as it's all my muscles, all my limbs, both sides. Please please reassure me and I will leave and not waste your time. Thank you in advance.

I'm not a expert by far on ALS but from I do know I can't even see why the gp would even suspect ALS in the least. It usually takes alot of testing to even come up with a diagnosis of it. Unless, the doctor has noticed something other then what your have listed it doesn't sound like he's very knowledgeable. I would seek another opinion for sure. But, I will let someone else chime in that is more experienced then me on this. Good luck to you. Have you read all of the stickies as well? There might be some answers to your questions there that may alleviate your fears. Kim

Hi Kim,

Thank you very much, I have read the stickies too, which are helpful. My only symptoms are the shaking and I can do all my normal tasks, I just shake doing them. I'm just hoping that someone can reassure me as at the moment I am terrified and feel I can't even function due to being overwhelmed with fear. I will be grateful of any input and will also see another gp. Thank you again.

I would have to agree with you. Shakiness all over is clearly is not an indicator of ALS. Was that it? Did he see anything else.? Well, I would go to a neurologist to rule out anything else, such as MS. And after a neuro calms your ALS fears, I would take those findings back to your GP and show him how clearly wrong he was so he doesn't scare someone else.

Thank you so much, that is what I'm trying to establish. Is shaking muscles all over, that don't stop you from doing anything, a sign of als? I will indeed pass on to the gp any info I get as this is my only symptom, nothing else at all. Thanks again.

ALBERI, you're correct. Shaking all over has nothing to do with ALS.

I wish I could tell you what it is, but I only know ALS. That's not it.

Thank you. All the research I did I could not find anything about shaking and als, especially all muscles shaking. I'm guessing I don't have weakness if I can do all normal things, as weakness would be noticeable. I want to get info to take back to my gp as what he said has had a huge impact on me and genuinely caused me unbelievable stress, anxiety and terror. Thank you for your response, I can't explain how much any reassurance means and I know that it is often difficult for those with the disease or caring for one with the disease to respond so I appreciate it even more. Thank you.

Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for the replies and I'm logging off now as I clearly don't have any right to use this forum. Thank you again for the reassurance and I wish everyone the very best. If I could be unregistered from the forum that would be great,thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back