Learn about ALS
Country
WA
State
Washington
City
North Bend
Cut to chase.

Just had second brain MRI and Cervical MRI in 3 months. Both clean!

Clinical findings...
Right Shoulder muscle atrophy
Right hand weakness
Right arm weakness
Claw hand
Drop foot that resolved
Started in April as right sided, in October the left leg became involved.
Hyperreflexia lower legs and upper extremities
Fasciculations lower legs and upper arms and back
Spasticity in neck forearms and lower legs..painful tibialis anterior

On one MRI request, my neuro mentioned Dystonia.

There ya go. I have NEVER EVER said anything to my Doc about ALS until tonight when I emailed her and finally asked, after 2 years of tests and suspected cervical myelopathy ....Has PLS or ALS been ruled out?

Thoughts?

Right Shoulder muscle atrophy >>> but still mobile?
Drop foot that resolved >>> ALS doesn't fix itself.
I think you're still in the running for a good solid, nonfatal diagnosis.

Thanks for your input. I am at wits end going through a 2 year diagnosis. It looks all psychogenic until my EMG in September showed degeneration in my leg that had the dropped foot. They said it was from my spine but after my MRI's they found out it was not. Not my knee or nerve bundle. They had no answer. It was not total foot drop. Just a 4. Then They confirmed my hand atrophy and shoulder atrophy, remember this is all new. As They tested my reflexes they mentioned hyperreflexia. On 3 exams they said they noticed the fasciculations. My ulnar never ids damaged.

They called me in to MRI my brain and neck. I did yesterday. Came back negative. She said she suspected Cervical Spondylosis with Myelopathy.

Please do not confuse me with someone with a death wish. I pray to never have what you do but if I do I pray to be as strong as you.

When you type in my real clinical findings in the dag nammit google machine ALS i there...can you blame me for asking?

And I am on Baclofen for my spasticity and ultram for the pain it causes. I walk like having 2 stumps as legs, my ankles are so tight. even though I go to PT 2 times a week. I have fallen 4 times in the past 2 months due to my leg (each one) giving way) 3 times on stairs once level.

i say get all your tests done and hope it's not. we can tell you anything here only your dr's can. the only thing we can do here is help you get through it if you do have als. ........................... it would be best not to come back on here till you know. i hope you don't

Hyperreflexia is symptomatic of PLS/ HSP -- not ALS.

Today I was diagnosed with PLS. Thanks.

Hmmm... as you once wrote,

("Does it bother you that I actually gave good advice/ Or do you have to be in your special death club to share an opinion.")

("Most of you people here are pretentious.")

("But I really fear becoming one of you bitter people.")

("God forbid this does turn out to be a MND I'll steer clear of this "special douchebag club")

Was there ever an apology? Or... did I miss it?

You're another lucky one to have a Neuro that would give a diagnosis in an Email. Most of us sat in an office appointment to be told. But... that Neuro must trust Email.

Whatever, after re-reading your first Thread here you are with PLS. Again, that apology is still in order.

It was not through e mail. It was a very odd day. I went in for mu second EMG and when I entered the examination room I was asked to fill out some papers. The nurse handrd me a clipboard. After signing the first page, I turned up the paper. What I found was the doctors notes. The first thing I saw was "I highly suspect Michael has an Upper Motor Neuron syndrome. I gasped. The nurse heard me and realized I saw something I was NOT supposed to. She grabbed the clipboard. The doc waled in. So I was not busted. She performed the EMG on my upper (my legs were dirty 3 months ago ) Thank god my arms were clean . Until now they have been keeping me in the dark. After agreeing I do not have ALS I asked what else coukd cause my crampin, spasticity, hyperreflexia? She paused. I said...an upper motor neuron problem. She froze..Busted. She said yes. After a lengthy discussion knowin ms was ruled out, no stroke, no tumor, currently no lmn signs we are still at PLS

First, that apology is still in order.

I have re-read every one of your posts and no matter how you try to fabricate your way into this Forum this is one member who doesn't buy any of it. My opinion... it's digested discharge straight out of the south end of a north bound bull.

Ultram for pain caused by PLS? That's a first.

I'll re-post your comments... again.

("Most of you people here are pretentious.")

("But I really fear becoming one of you bitter people.")

("God forbid this does turn out to be a MND I'll steer clear of this "special douchebag club")

So here you come claiming you have PLS after only two years of neurological observation when most Neuros follow the criteria of three to five years. (You also forgot to fabricate the results of the Babinski test I'm sure was performed if they suspected MND.)

Regardless, your comments demand apology BUT follow your own words after you do,

So why are you back?

He apologized in a separate thread Al an spoke more about his diag nosis

I apologize... that his Neuro hasn't joined the 21st Century and has his notes/data on the office computer system. And I guess he has a very compassionate Neuro who would refer to him by just first name, Michael. (Something I have never seen, most never indicate a name.) And a nurse who would give/confirm a diagnosis. But, there it is... I apologize being that he did and I missed it.

Whatever...

It wasnt a neuro. It was the EMG doctor. Also the nurse didnt tell me. She inadvertently showed me her notes too herself its a woman. Wow everything you assumed was wrong. Well its been a few months now the diagnosed was made, does how I got it matter?

Whatever.

If im gonna stick around here Ill have to get used to the abuse...ok :)

Manic Monday it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back