Not open for further replies.

bigpiz

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
City
Let me preface everything foremost by taking the time to express sympathy for everyone on this site. There's an immense amount of positivity, but it's still hard to not truly admire the strength of everyone. Also, let me thank you for your time, apologize for making the following post so lengthy, and assuring you that I have read the stickies. Now, I'll TRY and make this as brief as possible.

I am a 25 year old male. have had an ongoing battle with depression/anxiety a severe concussion playing football. It has been several years, and my bouts come and go. Typically they are caused by panic attack of which there is no specific origin. I was good for several months, when out of the blue I had one a few weeks ago. Since then, my anxiety has been severely heightened. I have had on going issues of being a hypochondriac in that past, so I know that may nullify the validity of my concerns.

That said -

I'm not exactly sure what symptoms caused me to consult Dr. Google initially, but they have progressed. That could be predicated on my anxiety, of course, but I still feel as though everything seems too coincidental.

I am a bodybuilder with several competitions under my belt. Hence, training in the gym is an enormous part of my life and I am extremely in tune with my body.

About three weeks ago I was training my calves. I had a decent workout, but hardly anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it was actually significantly less than I typically do, with no changes in diet. For some reason, I was excruciatingly sore for the next week. Generally I don't have soreness lasting more than I day or two. I could barely walk for days. A few days later I did hamstrings and had the same issue, but to a slightly lesser degree.

I over the two weeks I have had continuous twitching in my calves, forearms, quads, and neck. It is mainly localized in my left calf and left hand. Last week at work, I had a strange feeling in my hand and foot (I understand that ALS is not sensory). If I was wearing a glove and a sock, the area in those two would be affected and nothing else. It was just my left hand and my left foot. It wasn't necessarily "pins in needles" but rather I could sense that my hand and foot were there. Not vibrating, but it felt like the VERY tail end of when your limbs fall asleep.

I have been a mess the past couple of weeks (e.g. no sleep, no appetite, panic attacks, etc). I am convinced I have ALS, and have scheduled an appointment with my GP. Ever since the hand and foot incident, I have been doing insane amount of strength tests, which from what I read is common among people with anxiety of ALS. I am constantly testing my grip, walking on my heels, standing on my toes, and even altering my training at the gym to focus on areas that are giving me trouble to see if there is any type of a strength decline. From what I can tell, I haven't had any.

The past few days, I have had an issue with my pinky finger. The sensory has stopped, but my pinky finger seems to be getting in the way of fine motor movements. I'm okay typing this, but I notice it seems to be in awkward positions at times and twitches pretty often, and sometimes has a slight, dull pain in my hand on the outside and it occasionally works its way up the arm, but it's not very prominent.

Yesterday I was at the gym doing calves (go figure) with lots of unilateral movements so I could focus on one calf at a time. I noticed that when I stand certain ways, I am unable to flex my left calf, but I can flex the right. I change positions, though, I can do both calves equally and flex both of them. It kind of freaked me out. As I was walking around the gym, I noticed that it was hard to "feel" the inside of my left calf. I didn't, however, have any decrease in strength, which is promising. When I stand, it seems as though the inside of my left calf is extremely soft whereas the inside of the right is hard. I'm not suggesting atrophy, but rather that something is awry. I went home and had similar issues, and spent about three hours flexing and walking to try and get an accurate feel for my calves. My "mind-muscle-connection" as we call it in bodybuilding was lost. I woke up with a similar issue, but wasn't super sore like I thought I'd be.

This morning, I am having almost identical symptoms with my left bicep. I can flex it, but it doesn't feel right when I do. I haven't feel the contraction of my bicep. When I lift my arm and flex, though, it contracts but simply doesn't feel right. Now when I move my left arm, it doesn't move as quickly it seems.

I can go into greater detail about tons of stuff, but allow me to think out loud and generate some talking points.

Thinking objectively about the positives -

-Twitching has a correlation with being localized, but isn't exclusive to one area
-I'm only 25
-No true strength decreases

Here are some concerns/questions -

1. I know there are no 'absolutes' but does ALS typically manifest in two limbs at once? I thought it generally will start in one limb, wreak havoc to at least a degree where clinical weakness would be noticeable, and then move to another. Just hoping it is strange that it is happening in my arm and leg.

2. I have read a lot (during my 3+ hours per night google panics) that suggest clinical weakness to be a first sign. In theory, especially for someone in tune with their body, wouldn't clinical weakness come after generalized strength loss? Surely I wouldn't just wake up with a drop foot. Some people may, but I am very in sync with my body and would certainly notice minor changes.

3. Again, I understand there are no absolutes, but is this progression normal? Meaning if I was noticing foot, calf, and pinky issues, would they have at least showed a drop in strength?

4. Is is my anxiety that causes the symptoms to appear to be "moving" and progressing now? Is it common to work up a limb with causing noticeable damage first? Meaning, prior to any bicep issues, wouldn't my hand be showing failure or something close to clinical weakness?

Again, I apologize for the length and moreover for cluttering this page. My symptoms seem different from other ASL scared from anxiety sufferers, so I'd figured I'd ask. Thanks for your time everyone.

1 generally it starts in one place. Many are not diagnosed until it has spread but that is a different thing
2people ask this all the time. Of course your whole limb does not give out at once but one muscle does. If it happens to be the one for drop foot then you do pretty much wake up with it
3not sounding like ALS. Yes to the strength issue
4yes. And distal to proximal progression is more usual but not an absolute

To add you spoke of " losing" mind- muscle connection. In ALS that really happens. When I lost my calf muscles what happened was my mind told my calf to do a raise. I concentrated as hard as I could but nothing happened. My calf muscles were not straining even though I was telling them to. The message just did not get through. In ALS you actually do lose your mind muscle connection.

Go to your physician explore your symptoms but don't try to lead him/ her to ALS. Let the doctor do their job

You do not have als. You do have anxiety issues which should be addressed by a professional. Please see your doctor and STAY AWAY FROM DR GOOGLE.
Vincent

BIGPIZ, allow me to pile on. Nikki and Vincent have given good answers. Let me just emphasize that you do not have ALS in any way.

At the beginning of ALS, a motor nerve in the brain is destroyed, so it doesn't send messages to the muscles anymore. This means that that particular muscle cannot contract anymore. Instantly, overnight. There's no pain, no exhaustion, no feelings at all; it just doesn't contract anymore. It is usually a foot muscle. Then the nerve destruction moves to the next nerve, and the next, working it's way up your feet and legs over the next weeks or months. Eventually, after a year or so, the whole body is paralyzed, limp, and useless.

So you see, it is actually a total weakness of one muscle at a time. You just wake up and you have footdrop. The muscle is limp, useless, paralyzed. There's no sensation associated with this weakness. You don't even feel weak. It just is. Each week or so, you lose the use of another muscle, in serial order, until your whole body no longer works.

Twitches can be anything, or nothing at all. Usually twitches come from anxiety. The twitching that occurs in ALS is specific only to the muscle affected, it doesn't happen all over.

Again, nothing you wrote sounds like ALS at all.

Bigpiz, re-read these paragraphs from your Thread isolated from the rest.

"I am a 25 year old male. have had an ongoing battle with depression/anxiety a severe concussion playing football. It has been several years, and my bouts come and go. Typically they are caused by panic attack of which there is no specific origin. I was good for several months, when out of the blue I had one a few weeks ago. Since then, my anxiety has been severely heightened. I have had on going issues of being a hypochondriac in that past, so I know that may nullify the validity of my concerns.

That said -

I'm not exactly sure what symptoms caused me to consult Dr. Google initially, but they have progressed. That could be predicated on my anxiety, of course,

I have been a mess the past couple of weeks (e.g. no sleep, no appetite, panic attacks, etc). **I am convinced I have ALS**, and have scheduled an appointment with my GP. Ever since the hand and foot incident, I have been doing insane amount of strength tests, which from what I read is common among people with anxiety of ALS. I am constantly testing my grip, walking on my heels, standing on my toes..."

You seem to write as a fairly smart guy... but you haven't even been to a GP yet and you've already convinced yourself you have ALS! If I may... that's dumb. Again, re-read your paragraphs above and just think for a moment... reflect.

Finally, you just may be over exerting yourself with all these workouts while being anxious, nervous and an out of whack diet coupled with these new energy drinks (if you do those too). Study up on some deep breathing and relaxing exercises.

Golly... my reply went to moderation over 3 hours ago. Gee... I thought it was rather nice and somewhat reflective to Bigpiz's own thoughts. Well... scratch another. :)

Al, Don't forget that right now Nikki is at clinic and Beki is doing it all alone.

Hey Dalvin, I did mention there may be only two moderators left. It might be too much for just two to cover being they have health issues also. A couple more may help. This is a pretty busy Forum 24/7 across all the time belts of the world.

"(the majority of moderators visit for an hour or two each week)."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I'm pretty sure all the mods in the history of this forum put in 80 hour weeks.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. My anxiety has momentarily lessened. It's great to know that you're all unanimous in favor of this NOT sounding like ALS. That's extremely reassuring. Still keeping my appointment with my GP. If nothing else, he and I can discuss my extreme anxiety, which manifests itself in several ways.

AL, definitely didn't take any offense to what you said. In fact, I agree with you. I understand that at times I can be irrational, but anxiety is equally as physical as it is mental and it is very overbearing to say the least. With anxiety, all 'logic' is usually lost. You are aware of it, but you can't bring yourself to believe it. It's comparable to telling the sky is green. I know that it's blue, but I'm afraid it's green and you can't convince me otherwise.

It's amazing how much respect I have for everyone here now. Months ago (prior to the Ice Bucket Challenge gaining media light) I had no clue what ALS was. I had heard of Lou Gehrig's disease, but couldn't tell you what it was. I can't imagine how mentally strong you all are. Definitely something I wish I was able to emulate.

Hi There!

I am new to this forum. I am a 26 year old male and live in Chicago, IL. I have not been diagnosed with ALS but am due to muscle twitching that occurs all over my body, and can be seen in my right foot almost every 30 seconds. I have to family history with ALS.

I do not have known muscle weakness that slows me down or muscle cramps at all.
I have noticed my muscle twitching for almost two weeks now. I have grown in anxiety and it has really slowed down my work, relationships, and general well being. I have an appointment with my primary cary doctor tomorrow and schedule the soonest neurologist appointment for January 26th.

I work out and do cross fit. I have not seen a drop in my weight I can lift, but worry because of all of my muscle twitches, I will be waking up in the near future to muscle weakness and the inability to do tasks like lifting or moving my muscles the way I am used to. Any advice would be great. I pray for everyone on here who has been effected in one way or another by ALS.

What are common diseases which are like ALS that are similar to my symptoms.

Thank you everyone!

The biggest cause of twitching is subconscious anxiety, possibly from a change in lifestyle.

There are 162 motor neuron diseases, many of which involve twitching, nearly none of them are fatal.

I can't imagine why you posted on an ALS forum. It's just twitching.

MNsports: You should start your own thread and not hijack someone else's on here. For the record it doesn't sound like ALS at all. Read the stickies and go to your own doctor for further tests. We aren't going to guess what you may or may not have. That is why Dr's go for years of college and make tons of money. Just because you have twitches it doesn't mean you necessarily have a serious disease. You said you have a alot of anxiety. That looks to me that it is your major issues. Did you doctor think you need a neurologist or did you just schedule it on your own?

it seems like a lot are scheduling it on there own. dr google is kicking butt too

Just another thought - despite me having continual issues with my bicep/hand and leg (which logically seems like a symtopm of depersonalization from anxiety), it seems as though my hand or foot would have extreme clinical weakness before I would have anything in my calf and upper arm. I mean, if I can still grip large dumbbells and exercise without an issuse, I should have any distal movement of symptoms up to my upper arm and leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back