Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
NOVA
For those who experienced foot drop, where there any initial symptoms before it started, such as pain or soreness in the foot/leg, or any sensory issues like numbness, tingling, or cramp like feelings. Or was it like one day you couldn't lift your foot. I've been dealing with on and off symptoms for almost 19 months, and my left leg gets numb when laying down and I've been having issues with that ankle and foot.

If you had read the stickies for this subforum instead of wanting to bypass the system you would know that numbness and tingling are not part of ALS, can't stand lazy people who think their to good to follow rules

Actually I've read the stickies multiple times since I've been on this site for almost 18 months, and I also know that numbness and tingling may not be the norm, it does and can happen. Would you like to call me something else besides lazy.

slimva, I have read your previous Threads and all the replies.

Advice Needed
Common Misdiagnosis
Silly Question
Foot Drop Question

You are seemingly persistent to achieve a diagnosis of ALS. Maybe re-read the lower paragraph titled "When You're Wrong" in the Sticky for this Forum.

You have had replies from very knowledgeable members including a wonderful lady we have recently lost to ALS... Elaine - Ottawa Girl. Again, please read "When You're Wrong." Give it some thought.

slimva, keep in mind that a foot drop does not equal ALS. While many people with ALS will experience foot drop, not everyone with foot drop has ALS.

For example, I know of two people who have foot drop but do not have ALS. One is a friend and the other is a different friend’s father (who wears an ankle foot orthosis). Neither has any other symptoms of ALS.

If you have issues with your ankle and foot, please see a doctor who will get your case history, examine you, and perform tests. You cannot be diagnosed by complete strangers on the Internet.

Your left leg going numb when you lie down is suggestive of a posture-dependent nerve compression. Nerve compression is also a common cause of foot drop, in fact, probably the most common cause.

Foot drop wtih numbness and tingling sounds like MS, not ALS, especially if the footdrop is intermittent. have you had a brain MRI?

I don't have foot drop at the moment, but there are times when my foot feels heavy, but it has not impacted my life in any way. The numbness is in the same leg, and it's in my thigh area, and certain positions cause it.

I'm definitely not pursuing an als diagnosis, I'm just responding to what my body has been going through.

SLIMVA:
What you describe--again--has nothing to do with ALS.
Best to find a different website to commiserate.
You're wasting our resources by being here.

I'm definitely not pursuing an als diagnosis, I'm just responding to what my body has been going through.

HOW RUDE!

You just think you should start a thread randomly on a forum for terminally ill people even though you are not ill?

You need to leave mate, truly, get a life.

shaking my head in disbelief.

Ditto what Tillie said!

I didn't know I had to be ill before posting on DIHALS. Countless people have posted here giving their symptoms and concerns, some were diagnosed, some were not. At the end of the day, I have some concerns, I posted them on a site that exists for that sole purpose, but look at the remarks that were directed at me, and yet I'm the one who is rude. Thanks to those who posted something helpful.

Yes, you are rude because we answered your questions and you still persist on posting. Go to a doctor now and leave us alone. Please!

Hell Slimva, take my experience lightly and do bring up your concerns with your physician when you're in. No, I did not have any preceding symptoms in regards to my foot drop (specifically related to this area that is). While running one day I kept hearing an odd slap of the soul of my trainers and kept checking for what might be stuck on the underside. They were pretty new and I shrugged it off as very annoying and likely a stiff shoe. Less than three months later, while running on holiday with friends I tripped and stumble several times and I shared that something was going on with my body without any real worry or even much concern.

That was my last real run. A month later the outing were reduced to a couple of miles and a few days inbetween and by the end of the month one block of jogging and falling cinched it. I persisted with biking but my balance was off, fatigue settled in without my calling it that, and when I stopped at a traffic light the presenting foot or ankle tapped out an intense clonus. Insidious is the word I would use to describe the condition. Again, I am only talking about my foot drop as I did have other things going on which pushed me to finally see a Dr. and the foot drop took away my passion so I was very upset about it and pummeled the Neurologists to get to the bottom of it... yet it was only one aspect of health that brought me in. After my foot drop was bad enough to warrant a walking stick I did have intense cramping in the arch of both feet and the presenting side calf (eventually that calf stopped responding to my willign it to flex). But I did not have any knowledge of or warning through sensory that the foot (ankle really) was giving up.

Hopefully you learn somethings here and there online that goad you to seek a doctor's advice. Call some friends and share your situation. Sometimes friends can assure us that they too have had similar quirks of body. Or laugh at us or shout at us to get to the clinic. Keep a journal and over time it may develope to a real worry or fade away. I hope it is the latter.
One caveate to close; with ALS being a "treat the symptoms" disease the focus is similar to quirky body sensations: do what you can do manage the distracting condition. If it turns out to be nerve damage from this or that you would be smart to investigate ASAP as you could be able to prevent permanent damage. A few very rapid painles tests like the Babinski sign can be incredibly helpful (in my case all dr.s were clear I had something serious going on in part through this one test though it took a long road to give MND as thee blame).

Cheers and best of luck to you.

To Annie's Phil and wondering runner, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back