Learn about ALS
Country
NL
State
Utrecht
City
Utrecht
Hi there,

First of all let me thank al the wonderful users of this website. Can't tell you how deep my respect for you is.
I've been coming back to this part of the website for two months now.
Yes I've read the stickies, about 123 times or so...

I'm a 38 year old male with a family of two young kinds (aged three and six) and a lovely wife.

For the last two months I've been having some problems.
It started with the index finger on my left hand. Writing was painful and it has been ever since. Hand cramps up al the time and hurts after one sentence.
Two weeks after that my right foot was getting painful. During the day it felt like my shoe would get too small for my foot.
Tried other shoes and that didn't really help. Now this comes and goes. Sometimes it's gone, sometimes it's back.

When lifting objects (grocerie bags, my 3 year old) my muscles are painful and burn real quick.
Since last week both my calves have become very stiff, tight and painful.
Last couple of days my upper leg muscles are painful as well and they hurt terribly when I walk up and down the stairs.

Have a twitch at my left eye.
When trying to sleep (I think) i feel twitching in both my calves and legs, but can't see
Have been to my doctor a month ago and he thought nothing of it.
Went back this week and he still thinks nothing serious but did make me do a blood test.
Results will come next week.

About 6 months ago I was reading up on ALS and now I'm really worried. Dr. Google hasnt been doing me an good...

Could my symptoms by early ALS related?
Are muscle pains and stifness early ALS symptoms?
Would muscle fatigue come before muscle weakness?
Should I be worried and want to see a neurologist?

Always a pretty relaxed person but with my health (especially after having kids) I get real anxious when I don't know what happening.
Can't enjoy my lovely family this last month because I'm really worried.

Don't mean to offend anybody here, just hope you can help me with my questions (and hopefully ease my mind).

All the best to you and your loved ones.

I hope no one else makes a post on this thread, please members let's not feed any more bears or poke any more trolls.

Seriously, you must leave. Read the sticky 123 times then post a bunch of garbage, yeah right.

You do not have ALS, go back to your doctor, definitely do not post or come here again.

1 No not in my experience
2 no that was not how it was/ is for me or my family Nothing hurts at the beginning unless you get a cramp that hurts but it is not muscle soreness
3 again not the way it has been for us
4 if you are having muscle soreness that is severe you should continue to explore with you physician. What you describe does not make me think neurological. Perhaps is your physician does not find answers I would consider asking if a rheumatologist might be appropriate

Thanks for replying, and like I said before I'm really not here to offend anybody in any way.
I come across a lot of websites stating muscle tightness as an early symptom.
My muscle pain and tightness seems to fit that profile.

I'm not trolling, really worried I might have early symptoms.

Just here trying to find answers, not to hurt anybody's feelings...
Sorry if I came across that way!

You don't have ALS. Please kindly go away and take any further questions to a doctor. We aren't qualified to give any other medical advice. We answered you so please leave and good luck to you.

(I mentioned this on another thread). PALS who are first diagnosed have only one or few symptoms to start out. A muscle may be affected such as having a hard time lifting one arm, or maybe just mild slurring of speech, or maybe a thumb doesn't work quite right. ALS is not an "all over" thing until it's in the very advanced stages. You talk about your hands, calves, legs, feet, and eyes. ALS does not present this way. And there is also no pain or soreness in ALS, except in the most advanced stages when one can no longer move. Save yourself some $$, rest assured, you don't need a neurologist and you DO NOT have ALS.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, that really helps.
Can't imagine what you're going through or went through, but you taking the time to help people like me is really something special.

Thanks you.

Follow up: results from my bloodtest came back, nothing could be found.

I think my anxiety may have caused the problems in my legs, but my left hand still feels "off", and has been like that for a month or two now.
Has been feeling bruised (like somebody's squeezing my hand) and pain in in my hand and wrist. Can still write, but it's very painful.
Right foot is still still feeling thick and bruised as well, kind of like my left hand.

I was thinking rheumatism could have been an option, but blood test showed no signs of that.
My possible anxiety muscles taken aside, could this hand (and foot) problem be ALS related?

Seriously leave this forum we have given you our answer and we won't change it. You wrote a 'sweet' reply here yesterday and blew it today.

You have a doctor, that's what they are there for, go ask him/her.

Dutch, you've been told. There is no soreness or pain in ALS. Time for you to stay away from this forum and Dr. Google. Go see a real doctor, a psychiatrist at that.

Very visible (and feelable) twitching in both calves today, freaking out but read the latest posts.

Your honest (and in your face) opinions did help though.
Before I posted here if I was wondering what my problem was.
Could I be having real symptoms or is my anxiety getting the best (or should I say worst) of me.
Still really anxious but really valued your opinions and your expertise have made me realize I should not be worried about anything but my anxiety.
If got my work cut our for me I guess.

I will now do as you requested and leave this forum.
Thank you for taking care of me the way you did, you've made me open my eyes..

When I read a first posting and it goes on and on and on and on...i'll smile some knowing I've got a terminal illness and at one point I'll be delivered from all this but the writer/poster will live a long life of self-centered misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back