Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Down
City
Bangor
Hi all,

I just wanted to gauge your opinions. I had hoped to have put all this to bed. As many of the key, helpful members on this forum know, at the beginning of September, and for a good month and a half, I had twitching/ buzzing constantly in my left calf, as well as some, moving but constant widespread twitching in arms, chest, stomach, buttocks, thenar muscles, thighs and feet.

This died down for a few weeks, and then reactivated [im very busy at work and family members have cancer- so quite stressed recently.]

However, my main concern was, as mentioned before, size/shape difference in my legs, and some pain in my knee, but most recently, pain my the arch of my foot [where the twitching is] for almost a month now.

This foot is also becoming more noticeably curved in the arch, and the toes on this foot are thinner [i know my toes were always different on both feet- from wearing bad shoes when i was younger and being smacked with hockey balls].

I am very anxious that this is atrophy. My doctor wants to check my babinski again and to look at it more closely. I had an EMG after about 4/5 weeks of solid twitching, and I have read of some people who sadly had clear EMG's initially to get bad news later.

As I also mentioned, there were issues getting an english medical translation of the EMG here in China, but the only initial concern was something sensory...nothing motor neuron related. So I was wondering if this is atrophy/ a pes cavus, is this very unlikely to happen in this order with ALS? Twitching, then atrophy before discernable weakness? [I am less balanced on this foot]? Or should I indicate to the doctor I want to be checked for CMT or diabetes?

Here is a link to the feet if you wouldn't mind sharing your views:
http://i58.tinypic.com/1zgg46p.jpg

Thank you

>As I also mentioned, there were issues getting an english medical translation of the EMG here in China, but the only initial concern was something sensory...nothing motor neuron related. So I was wondering if this is atrophy

you probably want to rely on your md's at this time and not inet conjecture. My best guess is that you don't belong here ...

Reaane, I've re-read all your earlier posts and considered every symptom you related to us.

1) Nice feet. Nothing there that would be considered pathological.
2) You need to be treated for anxiety and stress.
3) Enjoy Beijing. I did.

Widespread twitching is not ALS. In ALS, twitching occurs in a particular muscle when it loses it's corresponding motor nerve. Paralysis occurs quickly after the twitches stop, and the muscle can no longer move.

You wrote: "This died down for a few weeks, and then reactivated [im very busy at work and family members have cancer- so quite stressed recently.]" You can see you have plenty of reason to be stressed.

ALS doesn't "die down" and then reactivate like that. It's an unrelenting monster that destroys motor nerves in the brain and brain stem, so the corresponding muscle lies still, limp and useless. You would trip, unable to walk normally.

I am a little concerned that you might have a psychological problem. Where's home? You might consider a vacation, or visiting your ill relatives.

>3) Enjoy Beijing. I did.

me too, but now you have to have an OBA :)

Thank you for your input. Talks are underway with family about a potential return during spring festival as, overall, even if it's something simpler that a podiatrist could examine/ correct/ treat, it is difficult to find english speaking practitioners in Beijing.

From what I know it would be unusual to have such noticeable difference in my feet as muscle wasting and still be able to perform usual tasks. I have stopped running due to the pain in the arch however.

I am hoping the doctor will follow up with different investigations about sensory nerve issues, and again I will resume seeing my therapist to help with anxiety.

Hi all,

Trying to find an English podiatrist in Beijing is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Waiting to see the GP again, as the foot is so painful it's becoming hard to walk without a limp. I don't think it is foot drop related, mostly a pain related limp, but I cannot fathom what could be causing this as I have had no injury and there is a crazy amount of twitching in the arch of this foot at the moment.

I just wanted to ask, when foot drop occurs with ALS can it be accompanied by pain? I know various things can cause foot drop and some of the symptoms attached to it include pain.

I am a member of the BFS forum, and have been learning to be more at ease with the twitching, as it does occur sporadically all over, but does still remain focused in the leg leg and foot, where the pain is...so it's more the fact the twitching and pain are together that causes some concern.

Your experience on this would be appreciated. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back