Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago
Hi, first of all i would like to apologize for troubling you, and i really admire all of you PALS to be willing to answer tons of questions like this, even when you are struggling with a disease such as ALS.

I am a 17 year old male. i have been experiencing perhaps a little bit of weakness in my right leg for the past week. A weakness that has caused me to lift my right thigh higher whenever i walk. I can walk normally without lifting my right thigh higher but it would be quite uncomfortable. I can still stand and walk on my toes. Whenever i stand up, it is becoming more difficult than normally to keep my balance. I have no problem lifting weight at the gym, nor do i notice any decrease in the amount of weight i can lift with my arms.

I went to a neurologist earlier this day, and he performed the following test on me:
1. He checked my grip strength.
It turned out okay.
2. He asked me to lie down and lift both of my legs up.
He did not notice any problem.

So, are these tests enough to determine that i do not have ALS? How likely do you think it is that i have ALS judging by my symptoms?

I have a history of type 2 decompression illness

Whatever the outcome is, i am planning to stick around in this forum and offer you any type of support that i can, is that okay?

God bless you

also, i would like to add that my legs are shaking, especially when i am standing

I think the chances of you having ALS are pretty much zero. You have a normal exam and your symptoms don't sound like ALS
No it is not ok for you to hang around and offer support however well meant. It is very bad for people who do not have ALS in their lives to hang around here especially people who worry unnecessarily that they might have ALS. We ask that once your question is answered you move on. It says so in the sticky. Please read and reread it

>No it is not ok for you to hang around and offer support however well meant.

Ditto that!

I think the chances of you having ALS are pretty much zero. You have a normal exam and your symptoms don't sound like ALS
No it is not ok for you to hang around and offer support however well meant. It is very bad for people who do not have ALS in their lives to hang around here especially people who worry unnecessarily that they might have ALS. We ask that once your question is answered you move on. It says so in the sticky. Please read and reread it

Thank you for answering my question and i shall leave this forum when i have no more questions. I apologize for being insensitive, please know that i do not mean to offend any of you.

Unfortunately, my right leg gets weaker each day. I can still walk on my heels, but i notice an increasing difficulty in walking with my right leg each day. I am not tripping nor falling. Do you still think that i do not have ALS? I have set up a new appointment with my doctor, in the meantime, i seek your opinion on this matter.

I'm sorry honey you didn't quite understand.

You don't have any symptoms of ALS. The people here are actually dealing with a terminal disease they do have, or caring for someone with the disease.

You may think you have more questions, but it's time to find somewhere else to ask them - maybe going back to doctors would be a good start. If you really need people to talk you through it then a health anxiety forum might be a good place to go too. Best not to answer.

I wish you all the best solving your medical issues.

You don't have ALS . We aren't answering any more questions. Move on now. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back