Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Spring
For about 4-6 years, I have always had pretty intense muscle twitches and never payed too much attention to them. I always attributed them to dehydration after consuming alcohol or over working a muscle. About a year ago I started experiencing pains in my chest. I went to the emergency room and eventually went to a cardiologist and they both said my heart looked great and it was probably due to anxiety. I could definitely agree with that prognosis due to my recent college graduation and starting a career. My chest pains come and go, but it's somewhat constant, just a differentiation in severity(does seem to be worst the day following consumption of alcohol). About 5 months ago, I got a breathing test done for officer candidate school and my doctor said there was a slight obstruction. Which was hard to believe because I could easily run 4-5 miles through the Austin hills. 3 weeks ago, I went another doctor and he said the same thing, slight obstruction. This past sunday, I was experiencing some pretty intense muscle twitches and some chest pain, but again, I attributed it to alcohol consumption. I guess I was just curious about why this was occurring so I typed in muscle twitching into google and bam, ALS. "Symptoms include breathing obstruction and muscle twitching." Now, my muscle twitches have been worse than ever and so have my chest pains. Some aspects that keep me sane right now is that fact that I haven't had problems with motor functions(unless you consider my breathing test results) or any noticeable muscle loss. Obviously this could very well be terrible anxiety but does this sound like ALS at all? Thank you for reading and I hope I don't come off as a crazy

You're not crazy. You also don't have ALS.
Breathing problems occur late in the paralysis, not early.
Heart pain, in fact, any pain at all, is NOT a presenting symptom of beginning ALS.
ALS is the destruction of motor nerves in the brain and brainstem. It destroys the nerves that signal your muscles to contract. ALS does not affect the "pain" nerves, or the heart and lung nerves, which are activated by completely different nervous systems.

Twitches plus heart complaints plus breathing complaints = anxiety.
Graduating plus trying out for OCS = anxiety.

As a career military officer, I might advise you to avoid OCS if anxiety is a problem.

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry to but a damper on your dreams, but you did ask for an opinion. I've seen many officers fail due to the inability to handle stress, and there is plenty of stress in military life. Your drinking might also be a form of self-medication for stress. You might enjoy a less stressful career in life.

Nxs, sorry if this sounds unsympathetic, but if you SEE a connection between your drinking and your symptoms, why are you continuing to drink! Dah! People with ALS don't have a way to stop the disease! Good luck in making better decisions.

My drinking was a bit excessive in College, I will admit that. I have toned down quite a bit due to health precautions. Trying to limit it to one time a week at most. But thank you for your input

I understand 100%. Soldiers, especially officers do not need to be a burden, in my opinion. My number one goal in life was to serve my country, I hope the door doesn't close completely, but I might need to address some things before proceeding. God bless you and thank you for your service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back