Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
RU
State
Moscow
City
Moscow
From some weeks now I experience muscle weakness. My kness are just bending over while I am walking and I must make extreme efforts sometimes to keep myself not falling when I run. My hands also seem weaker and shake alot. I couldnt hold lighter objects in my hands because the heavier the object is the easier it is to hold it. But when it is not heavy enough my hand begin to shake very hard and I cant keep it in my grip. This extreme weakness is killing me so I went to MRI. MRI was clear (MRI on my brain). I went to EMG and there the neurologies found abnormalities in my hand and leg, here is the summary from EMG:
  • Cervical sensitivity on C5-C6-C7 L4-L5-S1
  • Reduced F-Wave for C6 L5
  • Elements of denervation for M.OPPONENS DEX.
  • Reduced conductivity for N. MEDIANUS DEX.
  • No fasciculation (just sensitivity on some areas)

The truth is that before I do the EMG I have read alot of information about ALS in this forum. I was very concerned because usually when you hear denervation it means ALS or at least I thought so when I read several posts. I asked my neuro is it possible to have ALS and she said that she is completely sure that this is not ALS but some problems with my spine in the area of the waist and neck (where I have been experiencing little pains and a lot of stiffness). It is truth that she told me that I should not read in such forums anyhow because most of the information is false and there was no way one to mistake ALS for another desease. So she was completely sure it is not ALS.
However you have experience with ALS and I wanted to contact you for opinion. Neuro told me that diagnosis of ALS is really easy symptoms are pretty obvious and EMG results are as well. Despite she told me I don't have fasciculations I still experience muscle twitching but I was told that this is different thing. So do you think I have ALS? I am still a bit worried :(

Your neurologist is absolutely correct. In all she told you. There are many causes of denervation and that is only one element of the abnormalities found in an ALS EMG. You do not have the other things that would make it ALS No reason to worry about ALS at all. Trust your doctor who examined and tested you. Nothing sounds like ALS to me either by the way

Nikki, one last question. Is ALS progressing differently. Right now I have trouble typing in the keyboard the more precise movements are hard for me. So what you say is , ALS doesnt manifest or progress like that ? I feel really really weaker but I have strength to run. But it is really bad like my muscles don't work as they should. So the avarage ALS person has total decline and muscle failure ? I mean there is no such thing : "I feel very weak, clumsy but I can walk and lift heavy things." In ALS you just can't perform some tasks because of lack of power ?

I asked my neuro is it possible to have ALS and she said that she is completely sure that this is not ALS but some problems with my spine in the area of the waist and neck (

That is the answer. Keep working with your neurologist or seek a second opinion if you are not confident.

All the best in working out what the issue actually is. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum - click on Do I Have ALS? Is this ALS? blue link at the top.

It is not about FEELING weak, it is about BEING weak.

I think you have had 2 people answer you as well as a certain statement from a neurologist, so it's time to let this go, don't keep asking us more questions, expanding on your feelings, or trying to convince yourself or us. The people here with ALS have very limited energy and ability and the people caring for them are exhausted.

- feel really really weaker but I have strength to run >> In ALS, you don't feel weak at all, you simply cannot lift your foot up.

- In ALS you just can't perform some tasks because of lack of power ? >>> Actually, it's not "lack of power." Instead, the nerve that makes the muscle work is destroyed, and the muscle never gets the signal to lift.

PETIA: Although we are not doctors, we do know ALS very well. We are really certain you don't have ALS at all.

But we don't know other diseases, so you have to follow up with your doctors.

Congratulations, you don't have a fatal disease. Don't be worried.

Petia, you are asking questions of people who are paralyzed and have little time or energy to answer. Please don't post again.

Well -- Several of us have tried to share our experience with you and your fears.

The consensus seems to be that you need to resolve your issues with medical professionals and/or do not have ALS.

We do empathize with your fears, but there is no more we can help you with at this time.

This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just not on this forum. Stop being lazy and expecting people with limited abilities or time to give you answers to questions that have already been answered.

You asked, we answered, so please move on.

If you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. Make sure you tell your medical practitioner what you are feeling as well as how you are feeling.

No need to reply. Goodbye and best regards.

-----
Max
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back