Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Melbourne
Good afternoon from Australia,

I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this, I just have a couple of questions I haven't been able to answer myself despite extensive research. Over the past few weeks I have developed some pretty terrible symptoms and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are typical of a MND, I have developed a strange muscle ache in my left leg that seems to progressively get worse throughout the day, it's a strange muscle strain feeling in the back of my thigh with a tightness on the top of my foot. I understand that in the sticky it states that symptoms such as pain isn't typical of ALS but what I was wondering was that if a non dominant muscle was failing would it not put strain on the surrounding muscles and then cause the leg to ache? I would really appreciate your opinions/experience in this.

My second questions is in regards to multiple limb onset is it typical for the disease to effect multiple limbs at once, as I have noticed occasional cramping in both of my hands (very mild craps) along with body wide twitching and clumsiness, and this twitching can be quite violent (very visible). I appreciate any input and also just for good measure I'm a 23 year old male student.

On a side not I have noticed you are looking for donation to help improve the site, While I'm a completely broke uni student who can't really donate any money, I am completing my masters degree in software engineering and would be more then happy to donate some of my time and experience to improving the site, is there a mod I could message my email address to?

I understand what you are saying about muscle strain but that is not my experience. First thing was weakness no question. I felt fine.
And no ALS does not generally present all over it starts in one place. Generally spreads a bit there then moves on. With limb onset the most common way is to move next to the other limb on that side ( if left leg likely left arm follows) next most common is that matching limb ( left leg then right for example)

The odds of you having this without family history at 23 are also skyhigh Please check with your doctor and don't worry

Thank you for your kind offer of IT help. David our admin has not taken up other offers from members but it is kind of you to offer

Hey all,

Unfortunately I have not got better at all, I'm finding I have aches and pains ALL over my body at the moment.
For example to get to the venue I take my exams at there is around a fifteen minute walk from the train station, for a 23 year old that should be no problem at all! Unfortunately by the time I get home and the next day my left and right thighs ache like I just did a leg workout, has anyone had symptoms like this?

I went to my GP and told him about the aches and pains/my hands feeling clumsy, he got me to lay on a table and told me to push against him while he pushed against my leg, I had no real problem pushing him back. He also just pressed random parts of my legs and asked me if it hurt, which it didn't it was more of an internal ache. While looking at my hands he seemed to stop for a second but didn't really say anything, I swear I can see a little atrophy but I'm sure it's in my head and the doctor would have noticed something :p He recommended some magnesium for the cramps which seem to have made no difference. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Hope this finds you well!

I'll explain a few things about ALS that might help you figure this out.
ALS moves linearly, either from one foot upward or from the tongue downward. Typically, one foot becomes limp and useless, then the leg, then the other foot and it's leg...
Muscle ache, tightness, cramping and pain point AWAY from ALS because ALS only affects the motor nervous system, and does not affect the "feeling" nervous system.
In ALS, twitching occurs after the paralysis, when the dying nerve is trying to make new connections. Body-wide twitching can be many things, notably anxiety or stress, but not ALS.
Paralysis without pain would concern me. But you don't have it.
Sorry I can't diagnose you; I'm not a doctor. But I know ALS fairly well, and you don't have it.

Hey Atsugi thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply,
I'm not going to waste your time by arguing "but my case feels different" because I know I am just as bad as every other anxious person that comes to this forum expecting that definite diagnosis. It's funny I actually find myself doing the walking on heels or waking on toes test a lot and if anything it is slowly getting easier to do over time.
I just want to say watching your contribution to the forums throughout my time being a lurker (several months) is inspiring, between yourself Nicki, Max and several others you truly show how selfless those directly affected by this disease or secondarily can be. Thanks for replying Atsugi and all of the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back