Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CO
City
Littleton
Hello all,

First off it's great what you guys do. Thank you.

Just hoping maybe I can get a little piece of mind or become better informed.

I'm 18 y/o, male. My uncle was just recently diagnosed with ALS. That sort of made me think about some odd symptoms I've been having since August.

Basically my arms feel really "weird." I have mostly noticed it in the evening and night- seems to perhaps get progressively worse over the course of the day. Has been mostly isolated to my forearms and hands. The feeling is very hard to describe, there is no pain and no tingling or pins and needles type stuff at all. Sort of like muscles feeling fatigued (i.e. how one might feel a few hours later after working out hard), but not really. Sort of numb-ish, but again not really. All I can say is an alien type feeling, little bit of stiffness, fatigue, numbness.

My fingers drive me nuts. Especially the knuckles- same type of feeling as forearms, and I reflexively want to try and crack them/stretch them. Seem stiffer and less dextrous than normal?

I can still do everything fine- hard to say if I don't have the same strength I used to anymore? So I'm not failing at any tasks (as is indicative of ALS). Recently been having the above symptoms more-and-more/all day. At night the odd sensation in my hands and arms is enough to keep me up for hours. Just very odd and uncomfortable (again, not painful or tingly in any way). Just wondering if perhaps this strikes anyone as possibly very very early stages of ALS.

I am somewhat stressed out because of school/not enough sleep. And I know it's very very unlikely I have ALS, especially considering my age but I can't get this off my mind now.

Thanks for any insight you guys might have.

And also occasional been stumbling over some of my sentences. Not a lot, more when I'm reading something aloud than just talking normally. I wouldn't say I've ever had pronunciation problems before.

And as for strength, some stuff (i.e. holding phone up in bed) seems harder, arms even get a little shaky.

Colorado, you pretty much said it all yourself. Very unlikely you have a neuromuscular disease, much more likely fear/empathy and possibly too much keyboarding are likely taking their toll. You can also find exercises for warding off carpal tunnel syndrome on the Net -- good to do morning and night.
Sorry to hear about your uncle. Please encourage him to join these forums. Also, maybe in helping him however you can (keeping in touch; visiting, helping out w/ tasks if you're in the vicinity) you may gain perspective that you can use for the rest of your hopefully long and healthy life.
Peace to you.

Your answer is in your question. You are stressed.

Are you a young doctor? I am not and most people here are not also. They are people that ACTUALLY have ALS. They did not diagnose themselves. A doctor or doctors did for them

Hey kid your are cool and under some stress. Before you post on these sites please get a professional opinion and educate yourself on the internet by reliable sources to learn about this. If you did you would know you are WAY TO YOUNG to even think about this.

I am 50 and have had over 100 Dr. visits in the past 2 years PLUS over forty tests including about 50 viles of blood, 2 SPINAL taps, 3 CT's 2 brain MRI's and 2 EMG's. I have spent a lot of money and time to explain my spasms, balance issues, white matter lesions (just an above average brain age) and asymmetrical atrophy. But never even considered ALS until last week. Wine my DIAGNOSED foot drop was not due to peripheral nerve damage, or diabetes or MS habitual leg crossing or knee injury.

So see. This is the HELL PEOPLE GO THROUGH.....BEFORE they are told they have 2-10 years to live.

Go and enjoy your life! A pray you never get on Dantes Roller Coaster of Neurological Torture. Be lucky you have what you have and never come back here until the doctor says "I suspect you may have ALS"

Now go LIVE!

COGuy, you have an increased awareness of every little feeling in your body. This is normal when you're afraid of ALS. Happens to me all the time. Don't sweat it.

CoGuy, if I may interrupt your Thread just once.

Mold50, if you could tell us a little about yourself first it would be helpful. You joined yesterday and you have posted 31 times and to 10 different Threads. According to your Bio you had a loved one who passed from ALS. Where you first caregiver? Where you wife, husband, brother, sister, son, daughter or significant other?

Tell us about yourself in the Past Caregivers (CALS) Sub Forum maybe first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back