Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Troy
Hello all. I am a 34 year old female physical therapist and I have specialized in neurological rehabilitation for a good portion of my career. I am in awe of the patients' I have treated with ALS/MND. It is a vicious disease, and while I would always want to offer my support and expertise. I never thought I wound be the one seeking all the advice from you.

After a few months of concerning symptoms:
Thigh numbness which I figured was from nerve impingement
Quadricep fascinations that would last for hours and days and keep me up. They seemed to be worse after a workout.
Most recently my hands are so bad. I dropped an object 16 times today. The level of muscular atrophy from July to now is scary. Because I am a therapist, I have been doing some hand strengthening at work, with no relief.

I saw my PCP for a neuro referral. He wants me to get bilateral EMG for carpal tunnel. My question is does the EMG give any indication of ALS or are they just measuring something specific for carpal tunnel?

Thigh numbness is not ALS.
ALS doesn't start in the hands and legs at the same time.
Quad twitches after workout can be anything, or nothing at all.
Dropping objects is a concern, but can be so many things.
An EMG for CP sounds very reasonable. They can tell the difference between fibs, fascics, and anterior horn disease that destroys motor neurons.
You could ask the neurologist about your ALS fears, and let him decide.

Your pattern of symptoms does not sound like ALS.

Re the EMG: ALS is a disease of widespread, acute and chronic denervation, so the EMG looks to see if you have actual denervation and how widespread it is and to see if it is both acute and chronic. It is a very accurate test. A normal EMG removes ALS from the discussion, but an abnormal test does not prove it is ALS. (Remember there is not absolute test or ALS.) An EMG is a very good test for CTS and it may give some indication as to what is going on in the quads. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back