Other
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hey There

I'll try to make this post as unannoying as possible. I can tell by the replies to other queries that answering these things are very frustrating to PALS/CALS.

I'm a 26 year old female. I know this isn't a typical age, but it isn't unheard of. I'd really appreciate if you could tell me if I have any similarities to the onset of ALS. Or if you have any other suggestions of why I'm breaking, I'd appreciate that as well.

Here is my symptom progression:
July 2014: Trouble breathing while at rest. Laying on my back I felt/feel like I can't get enough air.

Noticeable weakness and unable to do things I used to be able to do 6 months ago. I am a person of average weight (130), and I can no longer stand from sitting on the ground without using my hands. I find myself using my hands to help me from getting up from sitting positions, as my legs feel too week. Additionally, I can't open jars. *I chalked this off as becoming weaker from a sedentary lifestyle*

August 2014: Feeling like I have a ball of mucus in the back of my throat. Takes me a couple times to swallow to get all the spit down. (sorry if that's gross!)

September 2014: September was my most troubling symptoms. I started an under eyelid twitch (only left eye), as well as leg/arm twitches. These happen a few times a day. Not painful.

October 2014: The eyetwitch has progressed to above the eye as well, still only my left eye. Twitches still happening a few times a day. This month I've acquired a new symptom. My fingers are not moving as quickly as I would like. They seem....dulled and clumsy. I easily typed 70 WPM in the beginning of the summer, and now I am averaging 50WPM. With a lot more mistakes.

On a side note, is this what atrophy looks like?:
imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks again for reading this. If this doesn't sound like ALS to you I'd really appreciate if you had any suggestions. I'm sure some are attributed to anxiety, but I can't be THAT crazy.

My heart and prayers go out to all of you in a difficult situation.

You need to go to a doctor and explain the issues you are having. Good luck.

- Trouble breathing >>> could be anything. Not a start of ALS.
- legs feel too week >>> feeling weak is different than being weak.
- can't open jars >>> Neither can anyone else. Not a sign of ALS.
- weaker from a sedentary lifestyle >>> can affect breathing too.
- ball of mucus hard to swallow >>> But can you speak OK?
- eyelid, leg/arm twitches. >>> Not diagnostic. Could be anything or nothing at all.
- averaging 50WPM. >>> Could be a whole lot of things. Rarely ALS.
- the photo didn't show atrophy. Didn't see any problem. Nice hands.
- I can't be THAT crazy. >>> Never say never.

LittleWorried: You could have any of hundreds of problems, or nothing at all. I doubt ALS. We here on this website know ALS pretty well, but nothing else. Suggest you see a doctor with your concerns.

There's a saying in medicine "If you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras."
It means that we should look at the more common problems rather than rare things like ALS.
Suggest you forget about ALS. Even if you have a Motor Neuron problem, there are 162 of those, and almost none are fatal. I don't think you need to worry at all. But you should see your doctor for an educated, expert opinion.

didn't read it, but nice post format tho :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back