Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TEXAS
City
Kemah
For 2 months now i have been having body twitching in my arms, legs, eyes, stomach, feet, and back. I also have been having hand and arm cramps constantly. I also have a lot of pain in my legs, and my upper arms feel very tired, almost like i did a very heavy workout, and i also get pain in them as well as in my hands and even fingers. Can als present itself like this? I am seeing a neuro in 2 weeks, and i don't want to jump to conclusions, but i want to prepared if it is something of concern. My calf muscles also cramp up.

No. ALS doesn't present that way. Your twitches are too early and too widespread. Cramps are unusual. Pain and tiredness are not symptoms of ALS.

Most people with ALS report they were feeling great, perfectly healthy active lives, when suddenly their foot become limp and useless and wouldn't lift. No pain or tiredness or fatigue is involved. It just doesn't lift.

Frankly, it sounds like dehydration or electrolytes to me, but I'm not a doctor. All I know is ALS.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum, and then believe it.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

No. ALS doesn't present that way. Your twitches are too early and too widespread. Cramps are unusual. Pain and tiredness are not symptoms of ALS.

Most people with ALS report they were feeling great, perfectly healthy active lives, when suddenly their foot become limp and useless and wouldn't lift. No pain or tiredness or fatigue is involved. It just doesn't lift.

Frankly, it sounds like dehydration or electrolytes to me, but I'm not a doctor. All I know is ALS.

I agree with this, does not sound like ALS at all, my first sign was my right foot slapping the ground when I ran, I still managed to stay active, did not give ALS a second thought and ran a marathon and an ultra marathon just a few weeks before that foot gave way and developed foot drop. Even then no fasics, no pain (until two really bad falls). Cramps and fasics came along well into the course of the disease and really notable muscle wasting, go and enjoy your life, you really don't want to be here

I still can't my head around foot drop Jan. I'm a newbie here who is slightly worried as to if I have something wrong.as I have developed a steppage gait when I walk. Although I can still stand on my toes and heels when I walk the leg uses a different technique to the good leg. Sorry for hi-jacking the post. Regards dog

you don't have foot drop then Dog, if I tried even in the early days to stand on my heels or toes I would quite simply fall over, I just could not do it, no way no how

dog you are hijacking someone else's thread, and we have answered you on your own, you need to go elsewhere

I was merely asking Janbrit about her foot drop situation. And trying to find a little more information with someone with experiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back