Other
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Clovis
Hello everyone,

I'm a 36 year old male and have been experiencing some weird symptoms lately. Around July or August of last year I started having twitching in my eye lids both right and left. I then noticed random twitching in my biceps and legs. Either the twitching went away or I just did not pay attention to it. This July I noticed twitching in my left leg on the outside of the ankle/calf area. The twitching is slight and barley noticeable, but is constant all day everyday since July. I also experienced twitching in various other muscles in the body but the twitching was mainly on the left side of my body. I started noticing my left arm felt different than my right arm. It didn't feel as strong but I did not have any clinical weakness. My left foot started feeling different too. I cant flex the foot up and down as well as I can with my right foot. The fingers on my left hand often times feel stiff and I cant move them as rapid as my right hand fingers.

I was seen by a local neuro who did a clinical exam and a NCS/EMG, all which were normal. The neuro referred me to the Stanford Neuromuscular clinic in CA for a second opinion. I was seen by the clinic's director who specializes in ALS. Based on his clinical exam he said no ALS and didn't even feel the need to repeat an EMG.

Since the last exam my symptoms have started to get worse. My throat started feeling different. Swallowing seemed to involve more labor, however I've never chocked or had any problems eating or drinking anything. I've had a harder time clearing my throat and I sound more nasally. My tounge seems to be wasting some, however the neuro said it looked normal and did not note any fasciculation's with my tounge. My neck muscles feel fatigued easily and I experience what I believe are throat spasms, if that's possible. I did a swallow study and it was normal.

My breathing has gotten harder and feels as if I cant get a full breath. I went to a pulmologist and had a pulmonary function test done and it was normal. I also had a sniff test which checks your diaphragm and that too came back normal.

I'm worried the emg was done to soon and these symptoms are progression of ALS that didn't present itself to the DR's earlier.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why aren't they haven't you see a cardiologist when you are having alot of symptoms regarding your left side and having breathing issues ? Doesn't sound a bit like ALS too me. Good luck to you.

I'm not sure what you expect anyone to say? (rhetorical please do not answer this post)

I suggest you leave this site and join a health anxiety forum, honestly that's my qualified opinion.

Lawdog, your symptoms, age, and no ALS diagnosis are the same as mine.

I'm resigned to health anxiety - I stick around to try to help someone avoid the garbage I've put myself through.

I'd agree that anxietu has taken a hold once I thought the worse. I'm not looking to be diagnosed, I know that's left for the dr's. I guess I'd like to know from anyone with experience here on how symptoms presented or progressed. For me I feel weakness in my left limbs with additional bulbar type symptoms. I know the weakness is not clinical at this point. Would als be a noticiable progression, i.e. hand felt weird then progressed into clinical weakness or is it working one day and not the next.

I'm a 36 year old male ... NCS/EMG, all which were normal. ... no ALS and didn't even feel the need to repeat an EMG.

I'm worried the emg was done to soon

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

If your twitching was due to ALS the EMG would not have been too soon. So your twitching <> ALS.

You asked for and were given advice:

Doesn't sound a bit like ALS too me.

I suggest you leave this site and join a health anxiety forum

Move on & good luck: you don't belong here. Consider that a blessing. Any one of us PALS would trade with you.

Those of us who actually have ALS treasure the time we have left and do not take kindly to wasting it.

READ THE STICKY!

That answers all your questions and we are not going to sit and type out long lists of what we experienced.

You have no clinical weakness and no bulbar symptoms I can tell you that.

Please stop posting now and get help for health anxiety, it is the best thing you can do for yourself and I wish you luck in that pursuit.

Lawdog, you wrote,

("I was seen by the clinic's director who specializes in ALS. Based on his clinical exam he said no ALS and didn't even feel the need to repeat an EMG.")

It's over, done, diagnosed... you don't have ALS. There is nothing left for you to post here.

(Broke my rule #3)

Not sure I understand your comment of "wanna bet", Max.

sigh.

Pretty sure that the 'wanna bet' was in response to 'Please stop posting now'.

... and you proved him right.

Go away, lad. Stay away. No need to respond. As I now feel no further need to respond.

ClearwaterAL, thank you for the responce. What concerns me is, could the symptoms have been so subtle to have been missed by a Dr and an emg. Only my left leg and arm were emg'ed and it was by a neuro who is very competent but dose not specialize in neuromuscular disorders. Nor was an EMG of my bulbar area done and since the inital EMG I believe I'm starting to have bulbar issues. When I say words with, th, s and some times the letter f, it comes out funny sounding. Would an EMG done in the limbs pick up issues in the bulbar area

>ClearwaterAL, thank you for the responce. What concerns me is,

you really don't get it?

Well -- Several of us have tried to share our experience with you and your fears.

The consensus seems to be that you need to resolve your issues with medical professionals and/or do not have ALS.

We do empathize with your fears, but there is no more we can help you with at this time.

This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just not on this forum.

You asked, we answered, so please move on.

If you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. Make sure you tell your medical practioner what you are feeling as well as how you are feeling.

No need to reply. Goodbye and best regards.

-----
Max
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Lawdog, as you wrote,

("ClearwaterAL, thank you for the responce. What concerns me is, could the symptoms have been so subtle to have been missed by a Dr and an emg. Only my left leg and arm were emg'ed and it was by a neuro who is very competent but dose not specialize in neuromuscular disorders. Nor was an EMG of my bulbar area done and since the inital EMG I believe I'm starting to have bulbar issues. When I say words with, th, s and some times the letter f, it comes out funny sounding. Would an EMG done in the limbs pick up issues in the bulbar area")

Well hell, don't tell us... tell the Clinic Director who specializes in ALS you saw. He'd enjoy it more than us.

If I'd been the star student in high school and college, and then graduated medical school and residency, I'd really lose my temper if some layperson second guessed me. "Maybe he missed it."

I'd be thrown in prison for beating a patient senseless if he really thought he could diagnose ALS better than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back