Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Money
City
Money Town
Hello folks

I've read the stickies on top of common ALS symptoms and what not, but I would love a response to my specific situation.

I am a 21 year old male. I have these spasms/twitches that go through my whole body, "mainly my calves". The twitching stared about 4 months ago. The range from my feet, stomach, fingers, neck, even my lip, almost everywhere. The twitching is like small muscle spasms, nothing too crazy. When I don't focus on the twitching, I don't notice it. My muscles get fatigued extremely quickly. For example, when I cook holding a spatula with my right arm, I would have to switch arms after about a minute and let my arm rest for about 10 seconds. Physical activities are also hard, as my legs become fatigued quickly. Riding a bike/running/ice skating have become difficult. Going up stairs become tiring after 2 sets. I also sweat like crazy now.

About 2-3 years ago, I would be able to do these things without my muscles becoming fatigued too quickly. I would be able to play hockey without my legs giving out so quickly. I didn't have much trouble lifting my legs while running long distances

Also, something weird. I don't have trouble chewing/swallowing, but I sometimes have trouble with the food going down. I get a weird choking feeling that lasts about 20 minutes.

I want to believe that these all could possibly be symptoms of me being out of shape. I weighed about 145 when I was 17, I weigh 175 now. It just blows my mind how fast my muscles become tired and why I get these crazy twitches throughout my body all of a sudden. Also, as a 21 year old, I find it weird that my muscles have become fatigued too quickly.

I do not go to the gym regularly never have in my life. I do believe I was more physically active in high school than I am now in college. (Must explain the 30 pounds gained)

Neurologist had blood work and an MRI done, with no signs of tumors and blood looking normal.

Why are these muscle twitches going on? Why are my muscles becoming quickly fatigued? My legs become fatigued the fastest. I believe I do not have bad anxiety... I am a pretty relaxed guy. These muscle twitches are driving me nuts people.

Thanks for the input

Your symptoms could be anything or nothing really. They could be the result of summer dehydration and college stress. Maybe there is a disease going on, but we're not doctors and really can't diagnose you.

The one thing we do know really well is ALS, and nothing you said points to it. That's just not the way muscle weakness and twitching happen in ALS. Not at all. In ALS, typically a single muscle group would get limp, useless and paralyzed WITHOUT feeling fatigued. It just fails to lift. Also, in ALS, the twitches typically come AFTER a muscle has lost its nerve, because the system is trying to recruit more nerves to feed that muscle. As a result, twitches more, typically from the foot upward, as the paralysis progresses. But you didn't describe this at all.

Also, anxiety could cause your symptoms, even if your a pretty relaxed guy. The subconscious mind can control our body and act out in many powerful ways. See your GP about this. It sounds like you do NOT have ALS at all.

Thank you for your reply. Naturally, the things that popped out to me when I read about ALS was "muscle twitching" and "muscle weakness". It's nice to hear more of a personal response and description of exactly how the muscles are affected and when twitching occurs.

I would suggest;
Full bloodwork for vitamin deficiencies, thyroid and magnesium/kalium.

Thyroid issues comes to mind, due to the sudden weight gain.

If it comes out without answers, refererral to an endocrinologist and also a metabolic/autoimmune in-depth panel.

You also need to consider the option that this might be psychological. Look for stressful events in your life that might have started all of this. You say yourself that when you do not focus on your twitching you are not aware of it/it is not there.

This does not sound like ALS at all.

If you don't notice the twitches unless you're thinking about them, and the neuro didn't see them, I wouldn't be too concerned. As you say, with more weight that is fat and the same amount of activity, your body is going to protest. Twitching can be one of the ways. The swallowing/choking feeling may be of a piece with feeling twitches that you're not used to.

Inability to perform normal activities (assume neuro did basic strength testing) is another matter. Things to check if not done already include electrolytes and Lyme titres if you're in a Lyme state or traveled to one.

Have you recently stopped or started some particular activity/food consumption?

We can't see your level of weakness nor the twitches so we are at a disadvantage compared to your doc. However, as you know, 21 would be a very unusual age of onset for ALS, nor does it typically present with twitches "throughout" your body. So that is a low probability fear. You could also try light exercise, e.g. a stretching class, and see how it plays out. Maybe you are simply "tight." Maybe check out specials on hot stone massage.

It sounds odd, but I would also take a look at your sleeping setup. Lack of restorative sleep (stages 3-4) can lead to all the manifestations you describe. Make sure you are turning off your screens, turning off your mind, maybe doing some meditation/guided imagery before you lie down.

Thank you for the input

My diet has been the same, nothing much changed in the food I eat

I will see a doctor soon regarding my symptoms, maybe another blood test will help point out something. It's hard to believe that the muscle twitching might be due to anxiety or stress, due to my lifestyle not having changed much the past two years.

I do not notice the twitching when I do not pay attention, but they do occur, mainly and often in the legs. Maybe because I use my leg muscle more often? (Walking/Biking to class) The second spot it occurs most is in the arms, then I will have my casual twitch on the body/neck/cheek

I feel the problem is that most doctors will go off saying this is anxiety related, considering my original blood work and MRI came out fine. But if my legs are becoming fatigued from walking up stairs, riding a bike, and my arms becoming fatigued from holding a spatula, something doesn't seem right.

From the input, I believe I can eliminate ALS. Thank you all. I still appreciate advice on how to go about the symptoms and what it could possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back