Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cleveland
Greetings all,

I have had some symptoms pop up recently and unfortunately Dr Google landed me here. I am aware of the stickies but I still have some questions as to the severity of my symptoms in relation to what the stickies are referencing.

Let me start with this... I am a 26 year old male (probably getting some eye rolls already haha) in grad school. Recently (the last 2 or 3 weeks) I have noticed some abnormal fatigue in my arms when typing at my computer. Accompanying this are what I think are fasciculations, I will get a short period of 5-10 sharp non-rythmic twitches in various places in my body, some strong enough to be seen through my clothes. The twitches have happened on both sides of my mouth, in my upper arms, and sometimes in my legs. I also have gotten this buzzing sensation in my arms, especially when I am trying to sleep. I have also had some mild cramping on the inside of my thumbs and in my forearms near my hands and in my fingers.

I don't think that I have clinical weakness as I can perform every task that I used to be able to and have shown no signs of lack of coordination. I should also say that I have passed a neurological exam in December but this was before the cramping and fatigue started. The neurological exam was for dizziness and tingling; doctor was checking for MS. I had an MRI w/contrast but that came back clean. Those symptoms expired soon after but have resurfaced a few times then dissipated again in the last year. The symptoms that led me here (the ones described above) are different.

It's really hard for me to accept that these symptoms are caused by stress as I do not feel like I am all that stressed out anymore. At first I was very worried but as time went on the alert level decreased.

I am seeking advise on going back to the neuro for more testing or to visit a psychologist?

I hope this question is not out of place. I genuinely have these questions and am curious and I thank you very much for your time.

You don't have ALS and it would be dangerous for us to try to diagnosis what else might being going on with you because we aren't doctors. This is also not a general health forum. My opinion though is that I think your next trip should be to see a psychiatrist. If you are in grad school you have to be under more stress then you even realize. Are you keeping a normal sleep pattern? Are you drinking too much caffeine? If you start gettting pain while using the computer give yourself a little break and see if it helps? Avoid alcohol if you do drink until you start feeling better. Now log off here and stay off Dr. Google. We can't help you since it isn't ALS and this is what the forum is for. I stress again this is not a general health forum. Good luck to you.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Sounds more like anxiety than ALS. I'd vote for the psychologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back