Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Erial
Before I type this I want to express my love and sympathy for everyone who has been officially diagnosed and their loved ones. My prayers are with you and I'm hoping this disease is conquered soon or at least made a chronic, non-fatal condition by modern medicine.

I posted around a year ago about my symptoms. I have had widespread twitching for over 10 years but in the last year have developed a lot of weakness and began tripping and dropping things excessively. A repeated routine such as brushing my teeth will cause my arm and hand to cramp up and become very fatigued. I saw a neurologist who seemed concerned but didn't think it was als because the symptoms had started so long ago with such slow progression. Well since then I have developed swallowing problems. I choke on liquids and my own saliva on a daily basis. Its really annoying. The widespread twitches are still there and I continue to drop and trip everyday. I also have to try a couple times to turn off the tv or press a button as my hands exert less effort than my brain seems to direct. Sometimes I will sprain a finger trying to perform a simple task.
Test have ruled out lyme, arthritis, and many other things. An ENT ruled out any obstruction in my throat and said its most definitely a neurological cause to the choking. I've been recommended for a swallow study and will be getting an EMG soon. My neurologist seems a little baffled by my symptoms and has also recommended an MRI, cat scan ect.

I guess a question I have is, if the weakness started almost a year and a half ago, wouldn't I at least need to walk with a cane by now if it was als? Is there asuch thing as a decade of super slow progression with this? I know I cant be diagnosed on this board and I've read the stickies a few times.

Thanks, John

I don't think you have ALS but there is clearly something going on that needs to be addressed by a qualified doctor. Did they mention that maybe you have been having mini-strokes? That's what first came to mind with your symptoms. But, again I'm no doctor so that is just throwing something out there. Hope you find out soon what is going on.

They haven't mentioned that but I do suffer from high blood pressure so Ill mention that to the neurologist when I see him this Monday. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back