Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
RI
City
Providence
So in early August I started getting this nagging pain in my thumb. I thought it was because of holding down a patient or something (I work 3rd shift security at a hospital) and I didn't give it much mind. A few weeks later, I'm looking up ALS bucket challenges with my gf and of course, I start looking it up. A few days later, I start getting painless muscle twitches in my left calf that spread to my entire body. After that, I started feeling extremely fatigued, body aches, my left arm feels like its shaking, lost my appetite, legs felt rubbery when I woke up.. All this sent me to the Emergency room. They did the usual (blood work and what not) the doc made me take a quick test (walking on my toes, testing my strength), and that came out fine; no electrolytes. She told me it could just be stress and anxiety coupled with not getting enough sleep after shifts. I felt fine for a bit but then, I started to slur some words like only some phrases come out odd sounding like "special checks" and "risked". Sometimes when I breathe, i feel like a weire feeling like the air is going down the wrong whole? But today I go out to breakfast with my gf and I suddenly choke on a home fry. Which is weird because I've been eating homefries at my job for weeks - ate em just the other day, no problem. I tried coughing it up bit nope, it just sat there.. I also started having a lot of spit in my mouth, dry mouth and constantly using the bathroom when I try to sleep.. Can someone throw some opinions my way :/ btw I'm a 25 year old male. I'm 5'7" and weight 280 pounds.

I'm so sorry the bucket challenge has perhaps triggered this anxiety for you, but I knew from your first sentence-- THIS IS NOT ALS. I read your entire post and I'm fairly certain your problem is anxiety. Please by all means see a doctor because we cannot diagnose you over the internet. Good luck.

Can you give us a clue as to what you think you describe remotely has anything to do with ALS? Also, obviously, you need to loose weight.

May God Bless you and keep you close to Him.

Does not sound like ALS. It sounds like anxiety. A lot of what you are experiencing is because you "feel" a certain way. In ALS it's not about "feeling", it's about things just not working. Some of your concerns are experienced by everybody; twitches, getting tripped up on words we say, choking on a home fry, and fatigue. Lost appetite and body aches are not a sign of ALS. Your mouth issues don't indicate ALS either. Only ALS patients in the advanced stages, when they no longer swallow, talk or eat have saliva issues. This is not you. There have been so many anxiety induced posts on this forum due to the ALS bucket challenge and I'm happy to say you are one of them. You're too young to worry about this EXTREMELY RARE fatal disease. Have a happy life.

>I'm a 25 year old male. I'm 5'7" and weight 280 pounds.

get a girlfriend and screw yourself down to 180 lbs.

Ditto that. lol

You dont have ALS, but even if you did it wouldnt help you to find out early. Why? Because the disease is untreatable and 100% fatal. Finding out early will do you not one bit of good. Assume you do not have this horrible disease and live your life.

>I'm a 25 year old male. I'm 5'7" and weight 280 pounds.

get a girlfriend and screw yourself down to 180 lbs.

Max, you're a hoot!

Does that really work? :shock:

>No

Mike, clearly you were never a teenager!

>Does that really work?

for a 25 yo male it shouldn't matter, it's the effort and determination that pay off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back