Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
A week ago my left hand (especially my index finger) starting stiffening, some weakening, twitching during use to the point where it became difficult almost impossible to type. Today my right hand is starting to slowly do the same but not quite as bad. Can ALS spread that fast... in one week... from one hand to the other?

It seems like the stiffness and twitching improve if I stop using my hands. Is that normal with ALS. I thought I read with rest it does improve and with use it stiffens more because the muscle is struggling.

I'm a 43 yr old male and I'm terrified. I went to my PCP and he referred me to a neurologist. I have been under a ton stress and I asked him if this could be from that. He said "no".

This forum is very helpful and compassionate... I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm trying to put my mind at ease but can't get it out of my head.

Where did you read that stiff fingers are a sign of ALS?
No, twitching and stiffness from ALS do not improve with rest?
None of this sounds like ALS.

I say stiffness... it's more like a cramp almost where my finger(s) feel cramped up... like I can't bend them.

I appreciate the help Dusty.

You didn't describe ALS.

Cramping is when a muscle contracts. In ALS, muscles go limp and useless.

You described overwork--too much typing. Stress could cause you to tighten your muscles, for sure.

ALS is rather rare. Don't sweat it. Just see your neurologist and he'll guide you to the real diagnosis. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back