Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
SOuth Lanarkshire
City
Glasgow
Hi Everyone, like all the new posts on ALS because of the ice bucket challenge it raises awareness of this terrible disease.

I started too have pins and needles in both my hands but this has since went away. Yesterday I standing that my legs went very weak and i felt really tired instantly I had too lean against a wall too stay standing but this has went away today.

The problem that is worrying me is my shoulder its been really sore the past few days it just feels really weak along but i can use it fine lift things, grasp things and lift my arm straight into the air but it seems so weak and tired at the shoulder and numb but its sore when i press into the skin just at the side of the neck.

could someone explain what weakness would feel if you did have?

any advise would be great as I've been worrying out of my mind.

thank you.

stop. go to an anxiety board. there is nothing here for you.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

If you have clinical weakness, you will know it because there will be something you can't do. You won't be able to stand on your toes, or button your shirt, or unscrew a bottle top, or get up out of a chair, or walk, or lift your hand, or grip something with your hand... Get it?

ALS is about failing, not feeling.

ALS is not about pins and needles in both hands, or your legs becoming very weak, or feeling really tired, or your shoulder being really sore, or your arm seeming so weak and tired at the shoulder and numb but sore when you press into the skin just at the side of the neck.

All of those are sensory symptoms and they have nothing to do with ALS. ALS affects the motor nerves, not the sensory nerves.

RELAX, none of this sounds at all like ALS.

thank you for getting back too me but this weekend my arm has felt brilliant but then i was relaxing on the bed today and i was looking at my leg below the calf and it was pulsing like twitching and moving but when i tense my leg up i cannot see it twitching or moving or when i stand up i cant see if moving or twitching.

This problem all started when the ALS ice bucket challenges started 3 weeks ago and i started too read up about MND/ALS and then my symptoms started too appear and I am reading DR Google 24/7 and its freaking me out and now with this twitching below the calf and the skin moving up and down like a pulse has totally freaked me out. I turned 29 yesterday and I was so down because of the way I have been acting and with these twitches in my right leg. I dont know what too do.

thank you.

If you truly don't know what to do, there's no hope for you.

But here's a hint - fill in the blanks: "I should go see a doct-- and stop browsing Goo---."

You have anxiety that is causing your issues. It's as simple as that. I used to twitch many years ago and it was due to stress. Please do something that relaxes you. Listen to relaxing music, play with your pet, or go for a short walk. You are going to be just fine. Don't waste your time on here. You don't have ALS so please enjoy your life why you can.

GB1690, while you wrote that post, you had to know it didn't belong here. Don't waste our time any further.

But is the twitches on my right leg below my calf are concerning me, I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but its driving me out off my mind with worry for 3 weeks its the first thing I have thought about when i have woken and the last thing on my mind when going too sleep. and with this new symptom of fasciculations its totally freaked me out. This is also causing frictions in my relationship because its all I speak about as i am totally worried.

Help

You hit the nail on the head, BG: you're worried and freaked out. Believe yourself. Go find an anxiety forum.

>But here's a hint - fill in the blanks: "I should go see a doct-- and stop browsing Goo---."

:)

Right i'm starting too panic now my twitches in my leg are bothering me its like a pulse on my calf then moves and beats somewhere else on that leg and they too another place on my leg also my shoulder discomfort is getting worse its like very stiff and it is getting weak doing stuff but i can still do them, open bottles, write, use my keyboard in work, but it feels difficult too do.

Read what the members above told you.
Read the sticky again.
I am done responding.

I'm sorry for annoying anyone but my mind has been ruined by this situation and struggling too cope. the GP are giving me blood tests, they did small tests getting me too squeeze there fingers, a running fingers down my arm too see if I can feel it. Its the twitching of my leg that has really paniced me as mine seems too be localized too the calves and lower leg, its like a pulse and reading about localized twitching it seems a symptom. my shoulder is also terrible it feels weak and also my arms seem smaller that they used too be. this all started 3-4 weeks ago is that too soon to get all these symptoms at once.

Sorry again for annoying anyone.

Hi GB1690.

We don't have the time or expertise to deal with anxiety problems, which you clearly have.
You clearly do NOT have ALS.
So, as Jack Nicholson said "Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back