Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
TX
City
Spring
Hello all...

I am brand new to this forum, and had a quick question for you. I've looked online for the answer and can't find it. I wanted to know, what does early ALS sound like? My grandpa died of ALS, but his first symptoms were limb weakness, not trouble swallowing/vocal issues. I realize that I am probably just being overly anxious due to my personal experience with ALS, but I have recently had some noticeable vocal differences and mild issues with swallowing and breathing, and I am interested in finding out more regarding your personal experiences with how ALS first affected your voice/speech. Thank you in advance. I appreciate your willingness to educate those like me who are fairly ignorant. Your time and kindness is much appreciated.

Also, I apologize again for my ignorance, but is there a way to edit a post once you've submitted it? The title should obviously read "early", not "earl." :/

Did you read the stickies at the top of the forum?

Could you be more specific?
It would be better for everyone if you would describe your symptoms in detail, rather than for us to guess the hundreds of symptoms you might have.

Yes. I did. I didn't see anywhere that directly addressed how someone with ALS's voice sounds/changes, only speech differences. Did I miss it somewhere?

Sorry...my voice sounds...scratchy? Like it's tired, only I'm not overusing it?

Everyone in my family started slurring as first sign of bulbar involvement If people are not asking if you are drunk it is a good sign!
Sorry about your grandfather. If he is the only one in the family you are at no real increased risk. Lucky you!

My husband's voice never changed, he just couldn't get his tongue to move into position for making sounds. If you're wondering about bulbar onset ALS (which he has), it starts in the tongue. You also would have slurred speech. Voice has nothing to do with it.

Your voice sounding scratchy could be something as simple as allergies. Don't jump to irrational conclusions.

Go to your pcp and get checked out. Scratchy/hoarse voice usually comes from yelling at the dogs.

That's true Max and yelling at teenagers!

>That's true Max and yelling at teenagers!

Now that is a waste of energy! At least the dogs listen ...

My Beloved Skipper didn't Max!

>My Beloved Skipper didn't Max!

Ah, but that was because you spoiled Skipper :)

Thank you to all who answered with helpful information -- particularly Nikki J and ECpara. I appreciate your patience and willingness to help someone who is admittedly uninformed even though ALS has affected my life through the death of my grandpa. Thank you for your help with my question and for not treating me like I'm an idiot just because I don't know as much about ALS as others do. Your kindness is noted and appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back