Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ca
City
redd
I'm 18 and just graduated highschool, over summer I haven't done anything (complete lack of exercise) just been laid back and hanging with friends and playing video games and whatnot like your average teen.

i've always had bad anxiety, when I first started having GERD I freaked out over heart attack for weeks.

Now, in the beginning of July I had pain in my left arm, and I had a full blown panic attack over if I'm having a heart attack and ever since then I've gone downhill. During that month I started getting muscle twitches everywhere (it can be anywhere, stomach, back, jaw, thigh, calve, you name it I've had a twitch there). Since then I've also had little pains everywhere in my body that lasted a few seconds, those seem to have gotten a bit better without worrying about heart attack so it seems... But ever since learning about ALS I've noticed how fatigued/weak my legs are. I can do everything fine with them, but they feel weak to me and it seems like I have to do a lot more effort to do things but it's not impossible. Sitting here with my feet on the ground my thighs seem to be the most fatigue'd and it's been freaking me out. I've been tired everyday and rest doesn't seem to do much even with 9-12 hours of sleep (I stay up late, but I go to sleep around the same time every night).

And then I read people have started with fatigue'd muscles and I am now into a full blown panic attack. It's hard for me to sleep at night thinking about this stuff and if you're diagnosed with this horrible disease I'm sorry :(

Feel free to make fun of me if it doesn't sound like ALS to you, but that would probably relieve some stress unless this somehow does sound like ALS to you. I still get muscle twitches and whatnot everywhere including the legs still.

My parents think it's chronic fatigue syndrome and said to get more exercise and get the blood flowing.

By the way, I'm in the middle of being transferred to a new doctor as my old doctor doesn't do 18+ aged patients

Ugh, I hate triple posting but I forget info and don't seen an edit button. Anyways, twitching doesn't happen 24/7. It seems mostly at night when in panic mode when I actually notice them. It's usually a quick twitch for a couple seconds in a spot. Sometimes it'll go like 3 in a row in different spots of the body and the duration total could be like 10 seconds. I haven't noticed a twitch in the past hour or so when I haven't thought about ALS but fatigue legs never seems to go away but maybe muscles get tired of all the stress? I don't know I'm just trying to not panic over something like this and it's hard. My dad used to be the same way, he always thought he had heart attacks and whatnot so I get it from him... Family history shows no sign of ALS so my mom said I wouldn't get it. And a person with bad anxiety like me always has those "what if I was that unlucky person that got ALS even if the odds are 0.03%" or whatever? Health issues just hit me hard I guess and I hate asking people with this horrible disease to diagnose this... And about that doctor thing above, I will be able to go to him in like 5-10 days when the transfer goes through.

Read the stickies

That actually makes me feel better.

I also have thalassemia blood disorder which is like low iron or something (I'm not familiar with this at all, my mom simply just gave me a pill everyday but I was always inconsistent taking it and so is my dad) and got it from my dad. I haven't taken medicine for it in about a year until now since fatigue started (I started yesterday, not too sure about differences quite yet). I'm pretty sure it's just mild thalassemia but I'm not familiar with the disorder, but wouldn't it be weird that one day the weakness and tired symptom just hits me one day? Maybe anxiety magnified it? I'm not sure but I know anxiety does wacky things, I used to be pretty good on Xanax but I realized I relied on it too much and forced myself off of it.

Get off your ass. Get some exercise. Put down the video game and go find a mental health professional...and that is being kind. Oh and u r 18..college or a job? Sitting around "hanging" isn't an option.

I agree with Mediasmart. Get off your ass! You need to see a psychiatrist as well. You don't belong on here. This is for people with ALS and people who support them. Your problem is your just plain lazy. Get a job and you won't have time to worry about your symptoms.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to be actually getting back into skateboarding and swimming today and I've already been looking into jobs for something like stocking shelves to keep me busy. I'm starting college in Jan so I gotta find something to do. Sorry for sounding like a complete dummy to you guys :?

If you don't own a rudder on your boat then every direction is straight ahead.

>tarting college in Jan so I gotta find something to do.

set yourself a goal like becoming a mechanical engineering in 5 years and then just do it. And CA has all of the schools and financal tools to let you do it.

And get off this site :) ...

kind regards,

Max

nice max. haha your compassion is showing

>nice max. haha your compassion is showing

well we do need new engineering talent ... :)

Yes, engineers specializing in desalinization plants... just 10 years from now fresh water, potable water, mostly for large coastal cities and agriculture, is going to be a precious commodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back