Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ct
City
East haven
I would like ask a question can als start in your lower back and. It rocks muscles I've lost about 35 lbs exercising and my strength was going up but noticed that my lower back hurts and my butt has no muscle in it is this truncal onset I can still lift weights but now I'm scared to then my left hand feels weaker and left foot I had aevel fusion on my neck in nan at the time my tricep went weak and so did my forearm and extencer muscles on my hand were weak I'm just scared I don't have a lot of money so I don't want go to the doctor if I don't have to did go to doctor off saw a pa he said normal strength no hyper reflexes and no clonus am I just paranoid with all the als attenchion or do you think I got it

That was buttocks muscles sorry

Go read the stickies lad, I'm pretty sure you'll not find yourself there.

I'm sorry I know you don't diagnose I just read a person on here started with there butt muscles I just would like to know more

Have someone massage your butt a couple times a day and it might help. Also, drink lots and lots of water. You will see a remarkable improvement in just a few short days. Happy fun exercising! My dad would love to be able to go for a walk.

I read the stickies just have some questions do you wait until a limb is clinically weak to see a doc or do you go on any little thing you suspect like cramping had my lower back cramp today my balance feels a little off butt I an do the neuro exam stuff ok but I self check but when I do go to the doctor they think I'm crazy when I tell them I think it's als so should I wait till something happens the reason why I ask is you read about people's onset and you can always find something in common I had neck surgery in January had my follow up in July she checked my strength in my shoulders arms legs finger spread grip strength every thing was good but can't let go of als when I feel weak or I get a cramp I'm sorry to keep asking questions but I'm greatful for your input

I have merged your threads Please,as long as you have an open one do not keep starting new ones

The common initial symptoms of ALS are CLINICAL weakness, atrophy, hyperreflexia and slurred speech. You cannot measure hyperreflexia on yourself and you can only determine if you have atrophy if there is a significant difference in measuring one side against the other (or if you have records of your past measurements).

So if you have CLINICAL weakness, measurable atrophy or slurred speech, I would say a visit to your PCP is in order. If you don't have any of the normal symptoms of ALS, I wouldn't go tell my doctor I think I have ALS... or he will think you;re crazy.

Went to a neuro muscular nuroagist today to him what was going on he gave me a neuro exam everything was good till the finger spread test good on right side but whenchecked left said was weak so he rechecked it again said it was good the pinky finger was the one he checked my little finger to his as he checked said his finger moveed inword like mine did so he was fine with that said no als i just hope he didnt say that to pasafy me didnt say i needed a emg was pretty convined i dont have it at this time so i hope im good try to get pass this obsession

Congratulations, Ryan. You did the right thing.

I agree with your doctor, you don't have any signs of ALS whatsoever.

Good luck getting over the obsession. I know it's tough. There are other websites for health anxiety. Good luck.

So you woul be satisfied with his diagnosis would you push for the Emg I'm just worried my heart sank when he first did the finger spread test but next try I resisted but he was a little stronger so I'm hopen that he is shore I'm not in the beginning stages he said no als that to come back and see him if need be Josef follow up on his part

Trust your doctor

Ryan, you have seen two doctors as you wrote, (" I had neck surgery in January had my follow up in July she checked my strength in my shoulders arms legs finger spread grip strength every thing was good.")

And, you've seen a neuromuscular neurologist as you wrote, ("He is shore I'm not in the beginning stages... he said no als.")

Now, it's up to you... to let it go.

I have a question regarding the finger spread test doc did it said right was good but left pinky finger weak didn't call it clinical tested it a few times said was ok said no fasces no wasting of the hand no hyperflexia all other strength test good just that one test he didn't get concerned didn't even scedual a follow up what would be the rating number to be clinically weak

I have a question regarding the finger spread test doc did it said right was good but left pinky finger weak didn't call it clinical tested it a few times said was ok said no fasces no wasting of the hand no hyperflexia all other strength test good just that one test he didn't get concerned didn't even scedual a follow up what would be the rating number to be clinically weak

One: Ask your doctor.
Two: It doesn't matter. You don't have ALS.
Three: Time to leave, Ryan. Make room for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back