Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nc
City
Buies creek
Hi all, over the past month and a half, I have had continuous twitches in my left leg and sporadic twitches everywhere else. The left leg feels fatigued pretty often but I know this is not really how als presents. Yes I have read the stickies and I have been to the neurologist as well as my gp. The neurologist have me a clean clinical them told me my emg was clean. ( yes I know a clean emg and clinical mean no als)

However, he did the emg in 4 spots on each leg and while he tolde
It was normal he wants to see me again in 3 months.

The problem is one of the main issues I am having is breathing problems. I feel as if I can not get a full breath. I can't inhale deeply and I yawn and sigh throughout the day. When this all started I would wake up several times throughout the night, however this has went away now for about 3 weeks as I have been sleeping normal and I have not woken up with any headaches. I'm not fatigued during the day and I can still play sports I just get winded incredibly easily. Also it doesn't seem that my breathing becomes harder when lying down it is pretty consistently the same

My 2 questions are
Does this sound like potential als respiratory symptoms? (I know it is incredibly rare and yes I am young 21) (I do not smoke, I did have asthma as a small child)

Would the clean emg In my 2 legs and hips, and lack of umn signs in the clinical be enough to disprove respiratory onset ?

Thank you all so much for reading my lengthy post

The neurologist saw hyou, gave you an EMG and gave you a clean bill of health. What you have told us is not enough to dispute his findings.

If you're having breathing problems, especially with a past history of asthma, I would see a pulmonologist.

So would the emg have picked up abnormalities in the legs and hips if I had respiratory onset ?

Also I had blood work done so wouldn't I have high Co2 levels if I had respiratory problems?

You manage to use the word Anxiety both in your username and your headline.

Air hunger and yawning because of tension are common features of anxiety. So are twitches, from all the tension.

With the background that respiratory onset ALS is the rarest form of ALS ( if I remember correctly, it stands for 3% of all cases) and that you are 21 years old, this is not something you should worry about.

But more importantly, respiratory onset ALS carry the same features as limb and bulbar onset. It is about failing, not feeling. With ALS you cannot play sports, because your air hunger is too big. You cannot take those daily walks, because you cannot get enough air. The keywords here are CAN NOT.

So my advice is, see a counsellor for your health anxiety, and if anything else (like Dusty said), see a pulmonologist and do the basic test battery to exclude allergy or asthma related causes.

Nothing you state sounds like ALS. If you have more questions, talk to your GP.

Good luck!

Thank you both so much for your responses. As I asked above would the co2 levels be elevated if I was really having these symptoms. I believe normal co2 blood levels are between 19 and 30 mine was at a 25 recently.

You don't have ALS, but you might have a pulmonology problem. See your doctor.

Why are you asking us these questions? Ask a doctor. That is what they are paid for. If you are lonely there are chat groups all over the internet that you could join. This is a ALS forum. If you don't have ALS or have a loved one who does. Why on earth do you need to be here or even want to be? If doctors can't figure out what is going on what makes you think we would? If you feel you have anxiety please see a psychiatrist. We can't help you anymore then we already tried too. Thank you.

I've been to several doctors as I listed above. I am currently at college and won't be able to return home for another 2 months. I don't think it is just anxiety causing these problems as I have a measured problem. My peak expitory flow has been around the 65%-70% rang for well over a month now. I don't wake up in the middle of the night, I don't have high co2 levels in my blood, and I don't have difficulty lying flat. It's just it seems like I'm not getting enough air. I am constantly trying to get a deep breath and can see my diaphragm and ribs expanding yet it's like something is constricting it. I apologize if I have affended you I was just looking for some responses since I can't return home.

You might very well have a medical problem other then anxiety. But, you need to understand that this is a ALS support forum not a medical forum. People already answered your question and they don't think it is ALS. That's the best they can do. So, this forum isn't for you unless you have ALS or a loved one who does. Thank you.

I'm sorry I am just incredibly worried I have als. It feels as if my lungs just freeze when I try to inhale. I went to the emergency room last night and they couldn't find anything wrong. My blood saturation was 100 and the doctor said my lungs sounded clear and that te chest X-ray was good.

But it's as if I'm not getting enough air. My respiratory rate was 7 breaths per minute, and I don't have trouble breathing while lying down not do I have trouble sleeping. It actually seems harder to breath when I am walking. It is the omni nation of these breathing difficulties and wide spread twitches that are worrying me.

My neck muscles feel really sore because i have been using them to help me breath, yet when I lie down I can see my diaghram expanding and while standing I can feel my ribs expand.

And yes I had a clean emg but it was only in the legs which is where my twitches mainly were. And the neurologist is still wanting me to go bak in 3 months .

Come back in 3 months, after you see the neuro.

We can give you any more information then we did. Come back in three months after seeing doctor. Happy trails til then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back