Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CRO
State
Croatia
City
Zagreb
Dear all! I made a post about my concern about month ago! I just wanted to let you know that my emg wasn't quite normal like neurologist told me. I am quite concerned. Please tell me what you think. I'm no expert in these findings...and it drives me crazy! I found that sometimes MND in the begining may present like radiculopathy on EMG.
Neurologist wrote down that he thinks i have C7,C8 T1 mild chronic radiculopathy. But, i have twitching constantly all over my body, and my both forearms have few new dimples in muscles (my right hand has much more plus some tenear atrophy also!) everything started pretty sudden i didn't have any of these dimples two or three months ago. In a matter of month and a half i now see atrophy and feel twithching all the time all over my body...sometimes i feel some mild dull pain everywhere..I had my B12 and folate checked-and it is great. I don't feel like it is radiculopathy...
I tried to translate my emg results ( emg was done 2-3 weeks into problems started):
Abductor digiti minimi, abductor digiti pollicis bilateralis- milder rare intermediar inervation sample with compensatory action potentials, amplitude around 5mV
Extensor digitorum communis bilateralis- normal intermediar inervation sample with compensatory action potentials, amplitude 4-5 mV
Deltoideous,brachioradialis-intermediar inervation sample with some largee and higher action potential.
In all screened muscles there is no clear patologic activity.
My ncs seem ok...i will try to post picture of my ncs resoults.

Here is a picture for NCS results:

Attachments

• szfsep.jpg
    szfsep.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8,057
Last edited by a moderator:
I see you're back. You certainly did not have ALS a month ago.

Your EMG looks fine.

Your "atrophy" is not a problem.

Twitching can be anything, or nothing at all.

Looks like you have a radiculopathy. Believe your doctor.

You have a clear case of health anxiety. Suggest you tell your family doctor and get treated for anxiety.

You don't have ALS.

C8? Thought one could only have seven.......

MND vs Radiculopathy--
An MRI can show if there is an impingement of the nerve.
ALS is a disease of widespread, acute and chronic denervation. A radiculopathy is more localized, generally causing denervation in the nerves fed by the impinged nerve roots.
Pain is an indication that it is not ALS. ALS initially only affects the motor nerves, not the sensory nerves.
Twitches are very, very common, and are not diagnostic. Most are caused by caffeine, Rx meds, anxiety, fatigue, over-exertion, etc.
Dimples are common.

Vincent, although there are seven cervical vertebrae (C1-C7), there are eight cervical nerves (C1-C8).

I only had emg and ncs of muscles i mentioned in my firs post. What if i have another one and it shows it is widespred...could it still be something else? Im worried that my faclsciculations didnt show up on my emg, becouse i have them and maybe if the neurologist saw them he wouldtn trivialize my problem and fear. Becouse he saw my atrophy...
Do i need to insist on another emg bodywide? I just contantly feel that it is not radiculopathy and certenly not chronic...becouse my atrophy was sudden and twiching...also.

As I told you in your last thread...

"REPEAT--None of what you describe sounds like ALS It does sound like you want to have ALS which is a sign of a psycholgical problem."

You are now just sounding more desperate to have ALS. Please find help for your health anxiety. No one here can help you.

Demand another EMG. Be sure to get your tongue and spine done too. He probably doesn't understand radiculopathy propoerly.

Only thing that is comforring me is that i have dimples in muscles on both arms...this should be reassuring...?

Dusty, thank you for your reply...it is comforting...but i'm still scared...i can't help myself...i started visiting psihologist a few weeks ago...but it's very har dealing with this fear...Afraid, so you think that i should be concerned about my emg findings interpreted as radiculopathy? Now im pretty scared...
I mean...i think that it is not my problem, also, but i just hope that my problem is not mnd...and it seems that you are pointing to check for those...
I will try to get appointment with my neurologist next week...maybe sooner..

I am being sarcastic

Listen to the doctor.... we are NOT certified to interpret and/or diagnose.

I have new symptoms...i really don't know what to do anymore. My breathing is hard, i feel like i could choke...i tried to look at my tongue and it was twitching also! So it made me more scared! I have constant twitching all over my body...and i mean 24/7. I have few dents in my forearm muscle, and visible hand atrophy...all on my dominant hand. I have few little much smaller dents on other hand forearm... Bud hand muscles are with full bulk. I sometimes feel like needles pokeing me...and some minor pain in affected areas, as long as in my leg muscles but there is no atrophy. I can still open jars, write, unlock dors etc. But i somehow feel exausted and like everything is havier to carry. Please don't brush me off...i don't know who to talk until i meet my neurologist... I don't know what to think anymore...i feel that i can just top planning my wedding and my life...becouse something serious is affecting me...

What has 2 thumbs and is avoiding confrontational sarcastic posts?

This guy ;)

>Be sure to get your tongue and spine done too

:) very mean ... albeit apropos

Dear all!
Sorry for bothering you again! I have a few questions, please don't be mean. This forum is only place where I can get some answers! I have an apointment with new neuromuscular neurologist on tuesday... I hopefully everything will be clear after that!
Dusty (and others) please answer just few more questions...
Does ALS appear as dents in otherwise normal muscles? (I have two dents in right foreararm, and one in left)
I'm twiching constantly but it is somehow weird-most of the time there is one strong twitch in one place, and after a second or two there is another one on some other place...they are pretty strong and visible-are those fasciculations(twich)?
My calves are somehow dull painful, but when I touch them they are not hard...so it is not spasm, only sometimes i feel dull pain in my hands also...i wonder does PALS have something similar?
Could it be some form of neurophaty even if the NCS is normal?
And last one: Could my EMG had missed fasciculations and fibrillations, and other signs of present denervation if i was already twitching and had only mild atrophy only neurologist could see, but it only show chronic denervation?
My atropjy is now much more visible, but I don't feel like i'm weak...i can do all those things asked by neurologist when ALS os suspected...
sorry guys...i know i know, i should f#%* off... But please don't be mad at me! I have seen some pictures of people who claim that have atrophy but when they post pictures it's nothing there! I would post mine only if i knew how...but mine are real...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back