Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
South Lanarkshire
City
glasgow
Hi there, so much good has came out from the Ice Bucket Challenge as its raising so much awareness.

I have always been a worried person about things and I think when something is wrong then I think the worst and end up on google researching symptoms, which is the worst thing too do.

I am just worried because in the past week my hands seem too be painful in my index finger and thumb along with a sore wrist, I've also had some tingling in my thumbs and hands. I have also had some tingling in my arms and also my feet hurt along with my hands feeling swealt and burning up and a little weaker than normal but I'm not sure if this is down too me being worried and focusing on the worst symptoms.. I had a terrible cough recently also for months but this has since went away. Its driving me out of my mind that these problems with my hands and feet could be ALS/MND. There has been no twitching or anything like that. My mum has MS and this a neurological problem and i'm also worrying as ALS/MND is neurological also.

Any help would be great.
Thank you.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

thank you for posting a response its very much appreciated.

#5 on your notes it says NO PAIN with ALS/MND i thought that you would experience pain in your hands or feet with tingling also.

None of which you report remotedly sounds like ALS....

thank you very much for your reply, I am very worried and I dont know why.

Is pain associated with ALS/MND?

Pain, tingling, tc. are sensory symptoms.
ALS is purely a motor nerve disease. The pain in ALS comes way late in the disease after muscles have started dying and can't hold the joints together or when the PALS has become bedridden.
"None of which you report remotedly sounds like ALS...." Agreed.

What does Sensory symptoms mean?

Is ALS & MND the same ?

Very simplified...

Sensory nerves are the nerves that feel things. For example, when you touch an ice cube, the cold feeling is sent from the sensory nerves in your fingers up to the brain.

Motor nerves are the nerves that send messages from your brain to the skeletal muscles that move your body. For example. "Fingers, touch that ice cube."

So, they run in opposite directions--one to the brain, one from the brain.

ALS and MND have slightly different meanings in different countries. Generally, MND (motor neuron disease) is a broader term and includes PLS (primary lateral sclerosis which is just an upper motor disease) and PMA (progressive muscular atrophy) which is just a lower motor disease). Many neurologists believe PLS and PMA are just stages some people pass through on their way to full blown ALS (which is an upper motor neuron disease and lower motor neuron disease).

thank you for taking time too reply too me.

what I have mentioned above do they sound anything like ALS/MND with pain and stuff I am receiving.

thank you.

hands...painful...sore wrist
tingling in hands...arms
feet hurt

SCOTLAND1: Nothing you describe is remotely like ALS.

To understand. Here's this:
There are three major nerve systems.
1) Sensor nerves feel things like itches and tingling and pain.
2) Motor nerves do things like move your muscles--walking, lifting, talking.
3) Autonomic nerves do automatic things like breathing, heart beating, blood pressure.

ALS kills motor nerves only.

If you have pain or tingling, it's something else. Can't be ALS.

Hope that helps. Now go to a different website to diagnose yourself. This site is for ALS only.

ALS/MND patients do not have tingling or pain in their hands and feet. that is not a symptom.
Coughing is not a symptom.

MS and ALS are not at all related and you are not more likely to get ALS/MND because she has MS.

Now, you need to relax and go to the doctor and talk to him or her about your symptoms--do not state you think it is ALS/MND because they will think you are crazy!

good luck

MP12187, please do not "hijack" other peoples threads.

This makes the forum hard to manage and it also becomes less coherent for the people who are kind enough to answer. Start your own thread/topic in the DIHALS-section, and I am sure you will get your questions answered.

Sorry. By looking at my number of posts it's obvious that I'm new to the forum.

I moved your post to a new thread mp. Everyone else ignore these last 3 posts

Simply put. ALS does not cause pain. ALS does not cause tingling. ALS does not cause sweating or burning. ALS does not cause coughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back