Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Midwest
City
Omaha
I thought I would post this in the DIHALS section because it is likely to get the most views. I have seen a number of places to donate for ALS support due to the ice bucket challenge and was wondering where you would recommend sending donations? Where can we make sure the funds reach the source for the most effective use?

The ALS Association at ALS (dot) ORG has a donation page. Just click on "Get involved."

Why are fully half of my posts going to moderation? I've been a good boy here since 2009!

Do they get approved Mike or do the mods then dump them?

That will tell me if you are really being a good boy or not ... :twisted: :shock:

My posts are always approved, but some of them get delayed and it muffles my mifflin!

Donations to the ALS Association are accepted at als (dot) org. Press the "Get Involved" button.

Trigger words Mike.
To answer op
Research
Packard center at Johns Hopkins
Mass General ALS research fund
Als tdi
Northeast ALs consortium

To help pals in need
Als guardian angels

To help finding the relevant disease mechanisms through genetic analysis
Project Mine in the Netherlands

yes trigger words, but we just don't know what they all are ... ;)

I used to believe it was words like doctor and google ... seems not

When my posts do go to mod I always read them carefully once they get passed in and am usually quite miffed at what the trigger word must have been

Still I'm not meaning to complain, it's all good, just hate it when that message comes up!

Any clue what the trigger word was in that post of Mikes?

Links or pseudo-links often do you in, Atsugi. There's also some kind of grammar checker that seems to mess a lot of different people up when they miss a piece of punctuation here are there.

We do try and clear your posts as soon as we can. There's just two of us though, be kind.

>Any clue what the trigger word was in that post of Mikes?

the trick is to post some gibberish, post it, edit the post and put in whatever you want.

Beky, pleased to meet you.
I know the job is near impossible to please everybody, and I really appreciate your work. Thanks.

Max, yeah, I think you're right. The "edit" function doesn't seem to look for triggers.

Regarding the OP: My favorite ALS charity is the Jacksonville Mayo Clinic research into C9orf72 FALS. They seem to be closer than anyone to a breakthrough.

Here's another place. No embryonic stem cell research.
John Paul II Medical research Institute

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob, Although they show ALS in their schematic I could find no active research on ALS on their site. Do you know specifically what ALS work they are doing?
Fortunately ALS research is moving more and more to IPS cells which are taken from skin and ( soon) blood from living adult donors. The recent retigabine study for example was completely done with IPS cells and of course any biomarker study will involve only adult humans sparing both the unborn and nonhuman creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back