Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Washington
Hi,

I am a 23 year old man and I have had problems with anxiety in the past and I am now being medicated for it, but recently I have felt like swallowing doesn't feel like it used. I can still get food and liquids down without coughing or clearing my throat. I had my tonsils removed 3 months ago because they were so swollen they were obstructing my breathing and eating. I have seen a neurologist because I had a scare with perceived muscle weakness and he cleared me, but the swallowing thing has started since I saw him last. The reasonable part of me thinks this isn't ALS, but I watched my grandmother suffer from it and I just can't get it out of the back of my mind. I saw online, I know it's not a good idea to look at stuff on the internet, that tongue twitching that you don't feel can be a symptom. I went to the bathroom and my tongue twitched a few times. I have also been biting my tongue more often lately. So I guess I should finish with my question: is this anxiety or should I go back to see the neurologist?

Thanks

I vote for anxiety. Your tongue doesnt just twitch a few times with ALS-its continuous. My tongue twitches all the time and I dont feel it but I can see it. If you went to a neurologist did he do an EMG of all your limbs and tongue-if he did and you were cleared you have nothing to worry about.

This is an artifact of your surgery.
Relax.
It's not ALS.

The only test that was done was a brain MRI.

read the **** STICKIES **** all is revealed there. 99.9% of your questions will be answered in the stickies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back