Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
NE
State
ZH
City
Amsterdam
So, I said I wouldn't be back here until there was any news, and unfortunately I'm back sooner then I thought.

This week I noticed that I lost the ability to sneeze. The reflex isn't coming. Sometimes the sneeze will build up, but doesn't come, but it also happens that the sneeze doesn't build up any more. Normally, I sneeze every morning, because I am allergic to dust. So this week I noticed (and my husband too) that I didn't sneeze anymore. Even not when I'm with my nose in the old dust or when I try to get a sneeze with pinching in my nose (which normally would do the trice). Very concerned about this! I read this is a problem of the medulla (Brainstem), same place as where Bulbar ALS begins? It's not weakness, it's the lost of the reflex. Anyone experienced this? Any thoughts on this one?

-may 2013 twitching started/pin & needles
-oct 2013 excess saliva build up (not drooling)
-jan 2013 Normal EMG
-june 2013 light swallowing problems with dry food as bread and potatoes
-july 2013 lost sneeze reflex

Well, the medulla has many different structures, it is a very complex area of the brain. But to give a generalized answer, from what I have learned, brainstem lesions is not typically associated with ALS, even though it can in some cases be present.

But, you have had a clean EMG, and once again, this strongly points away from ALS. It is hard to judge from a post on a forum what this is related to and you should talk to your neurologist.

I would ask for a brain MRI to exclude any type of abnormality in the brain if this problem persists. But bear in mind that the lack of sneeze reflex and for instance lack of ability to yawn properly can also be psychologically induced.

Hi Kosmoskatten, I want to thank you again for your answer. It means a lot to me that you keep answering my questions. I just called my neuro and instead of the end of july I can come next monday now. So that is one thing.

I really really really hope this all can be psychologically like you say, but I just don't believe you can influence the nervous system that much that your allergy is gone total, just because of stress or anxiety. I'm so allergic to dust that sneezing is something I do the whole day. Now I can get some very old dust from books, inhale this and nothing happens. Nothing at all! This with all the other vague problems is really scaring me now. No problems with yawning by the way, so far.

Hope the neuro will do the MRI and another EMG as well. I read an article yesterday of a neuro who was saying that an EMG is always 60% reliable. This is because of a wrong interpretation or problems who are not detectable yet on an EMG he said. So I think I do need another one. It's been 6 months since the first one and I did get some new strange things. I hope the neuro will send me to an ALS centre for the EMG, just to be sure. And I do hope I will finally get some answers...

Check for concussion. You are a year off with your time line.

I've never heard of such a thing. My husband (bulbar onset) has never had a problem sneezing. He still does it albeit now it splatters all over the place if he doesn't catch it with a towel!

>He still does it albeit now it splatters all over the place if he doesn't catch it with a towel!

that's me to a T :)

Try snorting a line of pepper....that will for tell you for certain if sneezing apparatus is broken....

>Try snorting a line of pepper....that will for tell you for certain if sneezing apparatus is broken....

ok, juries in ... Mark you are really a Dr. in disguise ... probably a neurologist!

Went to the neuro today. We mostly talked and I showed him a video of my cramping/spasm toe. Talked about losing the sneeze reflex. He had never heard of that before. At the end he said he wanted to make another appointment, not like I had now which was planned for only 10 minutes, but he wanted to plan 60 minutes and do a lot of tests then. He also told me he was going to ask a much more experienced neuro to be a part of that appointment. I'm not sure which test he wants to do. He said maybe the EMG again and also an EEG?

So, not really any news, except that they are going to do more tests. I don't know when yet, I will get a letter with the appointment. Hopefully I do not have to wait to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back