Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Westminster
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and would like to talk about my symptom that I had last night. I had worried about ALS a few years ago and thought that I wouldn't do it anymore. I don't know if it's just all the research I did that made things bad for me. I feel very foolish posting in this forum because I know that there are people out there that actually do have this illness.

Last night I was talking to my girl friend when I thought I had slurred one sentence, right at that moment she stopped me asked if I had been drinking. I said no I haven't, she told me I slurred. This really bothered me, I haven't had this issue again. Actually I asked a few members here at work if I sounded drunk or slurrish when I talked and the 3 said no. I sounded fine...Does Bulbar ALS present with only sometimes slurring and then it goes away? Or if it happens will it stay constant and only get worse? Thanks a lot for your time and response in advance!

Regards,

Albert

Re: Slurred Speech Please Help!

Hello, i don't mean to be a pest. Just would like some feed back, my main question is if at the beginning stages of Bulbar ALS, does the slurred speech come and go?

>does the slurred speech come and go?

Certainly not in my case, and I don't think that it does and others either.

How old are you, is it likely you've had a mild stroke, there are lots of reasons that can cause slurred speech. Fortunately ALS slide is the least likely one :)

I'm 31 years old, it just happened out of no where. I was feeling extremely tired because I had worked about 13 hours plus I went to gym...don't know if that's relevant. Thank you for replying, I know that people like me who worry don't mean to be disrespectful. I feel a lot better now.

> I feel a lot better now.

Good. The best thing you can do is to put ALS out of your mind. The probability of ALS is extremely low. stay off of sites like this which can only add to your fears concerns and anxiety.

If you really are worried go see your primary care provider and explain your concerns. And then listen to what he or she says.

Kind regards,

Max

You're absolutely right Max, my biggest fear was ALS. But now that I feel confident it's not I'll let it go, if it comes back I'll go to my GP for advise and help. Again Max, thank you so much for your time and wise words...

Albert 10,
You don't have ALS. You most likely had your slurred speech due to being exhausted. Your symptoms would be closer to having a mild stroke. Please leave this site because it's not for you. Max politely responded to you so Why are you still on? If you continue to have issues please see your family Dr a.s.a.p. Good luck to you. Kim

Hi Albert,

You have described exactly how ALS started for my brother in law. For one year before his bulbar ALS diagnosis, he slurred his speech off and on. It was mostly noticeable when he had minimal alcohol and he sounded like he was drunk. Alcohol made it harder to control and compensate for his weaker muscles.

He had testing to rule out brain tumors, strokes, seizures, etc. before the diagnosis was made. What confirmed his diagnosis was evidence of tongue fasciculations, where his tongue involuntarily twitched.

Please see a neurologist immediately. You know your body the best, and know that something is not right. Follow your instinct and get evaluated.
I wish you the best.

Karen

Transient slurred speech has a myriad of causes. Fatigue or perhaps transient low blood sugar after a long day and exercise would seem more likely especially in a 31 yo. ALS is rare, bulbar onset in rarer and when it occurs is more frequent in older patients and 31 is very very young for nonfamilial onset of any type

In my husband's case (bulbar onset) slurring came on ever so slightly, then became more and more noticeable. First only he noticed it, then I noticed, then as time went on others began to notice. It never went away or eased up. It just continued to get worse.

Hello, I'm sorry to still be on this thread and site. I didn't see Kim's response until today, I thought I logged off but my tab was still active. I apologize if I'm being a pest and to be honest with all of you I had a major ALS scare about 4 years ago with twitching all over my body, I still get the twitching but this doesn't scare me anymore. I wasn't drinking that day, and the slurring wasn't slight. I mean my girlfriend noticed it and told me about it, maybe I just read to much on ALS and that anything that resembles it gets me all worked up. Max, your post really made me feel better, I'm just confused with Karen's post. It hasn't happened again since a week ago, did your brother in law's symptoms start suddenly or gradually? Again sorry for being a pest...

Albert try to relax.

My husband had bulbar onset, and I can assure you if you have it you won't be wondering!

Whoever Karen is, it is the only post she has ever made on the forum for what that is worth.

Please just go live your life. If you have ALS you will know, it will progress no matter how much good life you are enjoying, but you will have been enjoying life. If you obsess over it and hang out here, you could waste precious time.

Thank you affected, I actually did speak to her on e-mail trying to get her feedback. She told me her brother in law would get the slurring words when he had one drink...All I know is that I believe the rest of you. I don't think it's on and off and that I would know if something was wrong. I'm sorry again if i offend someone, I am getting help from a psychologist. Thank you for your kind words and hope to not bother you anymore...Thanks again!

Hello all, I've been seeing some old posts and saw that people say that symptoms come and go. Then is this true? Or is it because their symptoms feel better certain days, and saw that symptoms come and go specially bulbar ones. Thanks in advance...

>Hello all, I've been seeing some old posts and saw that people say that symptoms come and go. Then is this true? Or is it because their symptoms feel better certain days, and saw that symptoms come and go specially bulbar ones. Thanks in advance...

ALS is a 1-way street to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back