Reason
CALS
Country
SWE
State
Västerbotten
City
Umeå
I've tried to google and search this forum for an answer to this question, but with no luck. I thought I would try here and see if anyone can help me :)

Is stiffness i joints (a finger for example) an early sign of ALS? How does stiffness in ALS present?

Thank you so much för reading <3

Pain?

And also: does ALS present with pain in legs?

No, on the pain. Pain comes much much later

Stiffness in fingers (in my non-doctor opinion) is more likely from arthritis. ALS does not present with pain; it is a motor nerve disease and not a sensory nerve disease.

Thank you for your reassuring replies! It helps.

The reason I worry is because I read a fact sheet from Swedish guvernement saying that "pain in ALS is less common, but some patients have pain weeks or months before weakness appears".

Is this not true?

>>Pain comes much much later

oh so many things to look forward to ....

Mayo clinic says,
"Early signs and symptoms of ALS include:
-Difficulty walking, tripping or difficulty doing your normal daily activities
-Weakness in your leg, feet or ankles
-Hand weakness or clumsiness
-Slurring of speech or trouble swallowing
-Muscle cramps and twitching in your arms, shoulders and tongue
-Difficulty holding your head up or keeping a good posture"

I have never heard of "pain weeks or months before weakness appears" as a symptom, but I won't say there isn't some case where that happened. But I would say your symptoms don't sound at all like ALS to me.

Thank you so much for your posts! <3 It really helped. I actually asked my dr about it and he said he never heard about this kind of stiffness being related to ALS.

Now, there is one more thing I'm worried about that I haven't felt comfortable asking my dr about.

I have tongue twitches. My tongue twitches a few times every day. Not consistant, only sporadic. I can feel them.

I've read a text by a dr saying that benign fasciculations of the tongue doesn't exist.

Does anyone know is this is true?

Benign fascics never affect the tongue

"Dr. Geraci says that the only real cause of tongue twitching is ALS, and that benign fascics never affect the tongue."

So, is this true?

Re: Benign fascics never affect the tongue

This is a case of Dr.Google, not Dr. Geraci. Your quote is taken from a site called "scary symptoms".

There are many different types of twitches and tremors, that can affect the tongue as well as other parts. They can be indicative of many things, among them BFS.

Listen to your neurologist, not Dr. Google.

joyce if you are a health professional why on earth would you try and get the DIHALS folk going with a statement like that? bit of a pandoras box

what kind of health professional are you may I ask and why you would be on a forum like this?

You are posting an out of context quote. Did you read the entire article. I did. He was saying that the vast majority of twitching in tongues is not fasciculations . And is benign That the findings in tongue are very distinct in ALS. That sporadic twitches that you just described in the other thread ( stop posting new threads please I am going to try to merge them) is absolutely not ALS. Please get help for your health anxiety. Stop reading these sites but if you do read, for heaven's sake read the whole article!

Last edited:
I'm sorry.

I'm a 22 year old nurse with extreme OCD and panik dissorder. I'm admitted to a hospital at the moment because my panik is so overwhelming. I get desperate for reassurense, that's why I post new treads even when I know it's wrong and embarrassing for me.

I am so glad you are getting help. Please be honest with them about the extent of your anxiety. Good luck and good health!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back