Reason
Other
Country
US
State
fl
City
west palm beach
Hello everyone I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer. Ive recently start having a few symptoms that have scared me to think I may have als. One of my symptoms is twitching. I twitch all throughout the day and throughout my body but feel them the most when laying down. I feel them everywhere face,legs,arms,temple,stomach,back you name it ive felt a twitch there. Another symptom I am having is pain on my right bicep. I was working out a few weeks ago but have developed pain to the point that it hurt to attempt to do some things. I am left hand dominant and do have more strength in that hand naturally but I am concerned since ive already stopped weight lifting and my bicep hurts even at rest. is this a sign of als? Ive read so many things online im not sure what is what anymore, but I am really concerned about my health and would really appreciate some answers. I am 23 year old Hispanic female, and a bit of a hypochondriac.

Thank you so much

Twitching is usually caused by too much caffeine, fatigue, too much exercise, anxiety and other common causes. It is rarely caused by a very, very rare disease like ALS. Twitching is not a major symptom of ALS.

ALS is a disease of the motor nerves, not the sensory nerves. There is usually no pain in the early stages of ALS.

I hear nothing that sounds like ALS. Biceps pain can come from many causes--muscle strain, trigger points, tendonitis, etc.--but stop thinking about ALS.

Ditto what Dusty said. Go see your physician if you are worried but take ALS off your list!

>Go see your physician if you are worried but take ALS off your list!

Ditto that! See a primary care provider and if you find yourself obsessing about illnesses like ALS talk to a mental health provider because anxiety is a factor.

Kind regards,

Max

Thank you so much for responses. I study Occupational Therapy and learning about so many different diseases sometimes takes its toll and one starts wondering if its happening. I have researched this disease for a few days now and I admire the strength of anyone dealing with it. I will be praying for everyone dealing with this horrible disease and I truly hope a cure is found soon. Sometimes we are so focused on ourselves to remember the things happening to others in world and it is only when its happening to us that we look into it. I really hope more people start donating and funding for research. I also hope one day to make a difference in the life of someone with ALS through therapy. Thank you all !

@ max i have had major anxiety in the past and im not on medicine because my doctor beliefs I will become addicted to it, so I've learned a few strategies to deal with it but it still gets the best of me. I will be looking for psychological soon. thank you!

>I truly hope a cure is found soon

won't do us a damn bit of good ... OUR FDA will insure that a cure found today will be available a decade after we are dead :-(

An OT who actually understands ALS would be worth your weight in gold. We have had to teach the OT who came from the VNA to my sister that she is not going to build back muscle!

An OT who actually understands ALS would be worth your weight in gold.

Tru dat! Got that right! I actually fired/kicked out of the house several medical types who couldn't understand the concept. I normally am very, very patient and polite with people, but when it comes to ALS, I don't have time to waste with incompetence.

Some of the hospice nurses were the worst. They really had no idea what to do with a paralyzed person. One nurse admitted she was an admin type who never worked in patient care before. I don't think we ever found an OT or PT who understood--except that the VA ALS team was perfect. VA dealt with a lot of quads and some ALS, so they understood paralysis quite well.

That said, our first and last hospice nurses were outstanding. VA was great. Mayo was fantastic. The EMTs and ER people learned quickly when I explained the situation to them.

Im sorry you all haven't had a very good experience with the therapists I sure hope that doesn't happen when I begin treating.
Im sorry to bother you all with so many questions but my pain has led me to do more research and I see in the forum that for some people it does cause pain? My pain is giving me weakness, I think is more perceived weakness than true weakness. Im also starting to feel pain on my other arm. I really don't know whats going on? Another question does als always start distal to proximal?

Thank you all so much for kindly answering my questions, I had a panic attack today and it was awful, I just want to get some answers because I do not have any health insurance as of right now but will be applying soon.

sorry you all haven't had a very good experience with the therapists I sure hope that doesn't happen when I begin treating.:(
Im sorry to bother you all with so many questions but my pain has led me to do more research and I see in the forum that for some people it does cause pain? My pain is giving me weakness, I think is more perceived weakness than true weakness. Im also starting to feel pain on my other arm. I really don't know whats going on? Another question does als always start distal to proximal?:confused:

Thank you all so much for kindly answering my questions, I had a panic attack today and it was awful, I just want to get some answers because I do not have any health insurance as of right now but will be applying soon

Pain giving weakness? Do you mean pain stops you from flexing your full muscle? That doesn't sound ALS-like to me.
Distal to proximal? Yes, I believe so.

No I mean when I have pain I'm not able to do stuff due to it. I'm having pain on my other bicep too so I don't know what's going on because als is supposedly asymmetrical. My professor who is a therapist and worked with als patients for many years told me he does not believe is als. I just wish I had an explanations for the twitching and muscle cramping

Reread Dusty's post to you. A zillion reasons to twitch and all over does not sound like ALS. Pain is a late symptom in ALS due to muscles no longer supporting us and the consequences of immobility. It does not come first or early
Did you see a physician? Are you getting help for your admitted health anxiety?

I honestly wish I had video of my mom's fascicualtions (before the muscles pretty much gave out). It was definitelt not a little benign twitch here and there. It lookes as if water was boiling under her skin. I will never for get the grave expression that came onto the hospital neuro's face when he saw it while doing an exam and turned to me and said, "How long has she been doing this?" I think he knew right then what was going on, but he was wonderful in encouraging her not to worry right then and there.

Thank you for your responses, I haven't seen a physician because I don't have any insurance as of right now. I did ask a neurologist online and stated all my symptoms and he said due to that I'm only 23 with no family history he thinks is extremely unlike since the disease is rare even in older adults. He also said my symptoms don't sound like als. I think it is my anxiety, I really need to get it under control, I've lost 5 pounds stressing and not eating properly. Anxiety can make any little symptoms appear worst .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back