Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
NE
State
ZH
City
Amsterdam
So, in 3 days I'm twitching for a year. Only thing that happend in this year is in oct. the excess saliva. This is still there. And of course the pins & needles, jerks, etc, but had that since the beginning.

I can live with the twitches. It's annoying, but I don't feel them to much when I'm busy during the day. What really bothers (and still worries) me is the excess saliva.

I read about some cases here at this forum that also had twitching and saliva, but no diagnose. Unfortunately those people are not active anymore. I think this is good news, because they probably don't have ALS. But I would be very interested to know how they are doing now, I they ever found an explanation for the saliva or did it disappear?

I'm really trying to believe it's all BFS or some uncontrolled nerve-system that is giving me these problems I'm experiencing. EMG was fine, the first time. I will go back to my neuro in June, but since there are no new problems, I do not expect to much of this appointment...

If there is anyone out there with the same problems and has some answers or wants to share there story, please let me know...

Hi antologia,
My symptoms aren't anything like yours. I just wanted to wish you luck in your upcoming appointment. I'm glad to hear you don't have any new problems-no progression is the best! :)

Excessive saliva is actually a quite common anxiety response, From what I have learned it is completely linked with the bodys "fight or flight" response. And it is also a quite notable health anxiety issue; you have increased saliva, you get more worried, and then you get even more saliva.

In ALS and other MND, it is usually not about excessive salivation. It is the fact that your swallowing is impaired, so that the normal secretions can't be swallowed properly, therefore the patient can feel like there is a lot of saliva and/or sometimes there might be drooling due to weakened palate and/or facial muscles.

However, if you are worried, contact your neurologist and ask for a swallowing study.

Another reason for excessive saliva, if it is not anxiety related is oral health issues; infections in the mouth, gingivitis or location changes in your teeth ( this sometimes happens to people who pull wisdom teeth etc ).

Also check if you have allergies, food allergies are very prone to cause saliva issues and/or silent or active reflux. Reflux can cause more saliva and also a "watery" mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back