Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
Smithfield
To begin I'm currently 21 years old, and about two & 1/2 weeks ago I was hit with a huge surge of anxiety and depression over some life issues that really weren't a big deal. I'm normally massively anxious/manic and almost am never depressed, when I'm not anxious I'm extremely happy.

Anyway to the real question....after this dramatic wave of anxiety/stress/depression I found myself in a massive brain fog along with my allergies(maybe my allergies caused it) which I haven't had an allergy problem in years.

So on top of this brain fog I had fasciculations(in my right hand and prior to this about two weeks ago I had fasciculations(muscle twitchs) in my chest near my heart and though it was my heart at first(you can imagine how that went over....spent a while feeling my pulse to make sure), and also pretty bad/werid insomnia....I couldn't sleep, and even if I sleep 8+ hours I still feel fatigued/brain fog/tired all day.This brain fog is gone now, however my body kinda still hurts a bit.

Anyway the brain fog and fasciculations were crazy.....then I had pain in my right arm(same arm as fasciculations) this is also probably due to my new mouse that I just got....since the way I rest my hand it caused pain in my palm....one day I had it like that for 16 hours or so....maybe I pinched a nerve?

Anyway the brain fog and faciculations and chronic fatigue/sleepiness even while rested, and neck pain in back of my neck(very slight and only hurts sometimes) led me to think I had ALS then I read that fasciculations in ALS occur after nerves have died and that I would have weakness(which I do not). So I moved onto MS which I have a one or two other symptoms for, namely frequent urination, and dizziness(happened recently with the anxiety and stress) and insomnia(I couldn't sleep much the past week or so). I also last night while I was sleeping face up...got this weird numbness in the back of my neck...like when you sleep on your arm numbness.....and when I turned my head I heard multiple cracking/popping sounds....freaked me out.

Oh, I also get random stinging pain in my head and right inner ear....but it's happened about 4 times in the past few days....it happens at once in a instant then is gone completely. Also have a vibrating feeling inside my chest to the right side under the breast bone......idk what that's about.

The twitches in my right arm made me nervous so I pushed my left and right hand together to test for weakness but they came out even, and did several other tests as well and I think in the process may have injured both my arms. I have neck pain and pain in my right arm but it comes and goes and isn't that bad. I think I pinched a nerve, maybe that combined with the stress caused the twitchs?

What would be weakness in my right arm?
What is a spasm?

My right arm isn't different or at least not that different then it felt before the twitches.....I get pins and needles and a weird feeling with the twitches sometimes, and I can feel and see them in my arm, forearm, and hand. So I have twitches in my right arm and sometimes other areas, does this absolve me of it possibly being ALS? Also note this all came on quite fast, because just 2 or 3 weeks ago I felt totally fine and at ease.

So my question is could this have been caused by my terrible anxiety/stress, or should I see a neuro?

Symptoms -
Pain in right arm and wrist(heavy computer gamer/user)
Twitches in fingers and forearm, and upper arm, and jaw, and neck, and chest.
My twitches last anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minutes then go away for many hours
Some pain in left arm
Brain fog(about a week ago it has gone away since)
Maybe some weakness in right arm, can't really tell idk what I'm looking for

Also god bless all on this forum whom are struggling with this terrible condition.

Start with your family doctor. Trust what he says. You are in my prayers.

Tracy

Every single symptom you listed can be contributed to anxiety or stress. You need to see your family doctor. Stress can cause alot of problems if left untreated. Please don't stress yourself out though about ALS because you don't have it. Try to practice some relaxations exercises and see if that gives you any type of relief. I've had alot of your symptoms in the past and it was all related to stress. Best of luck to you. Kim

Start with your family doctor. Trust what he says. You are in my prayers.

Tracy

Thank you very much, I see you have been diagnosed with ALS my heart goes out to you.

Every single symptom you listed can be contributed to anxiety or stress. You need to see your family doctor. Stress can cause alot of problems if left untreated. Please don't stress yourself out though about ALS because you don't have it. Try to practice some relaxations exercises and see if that gives you any type of relief. I've had alot of your symptoms in the past and it was all related to stress. Best of luck to you. Kim

How can you be so sure?

Come back when you have
1) clinical weakness (muscle failure, not just feeling weak)
2) muscle atrophy (measurable, not just how it looks to you and not just "dents")
Actually, when you have those go see your neuro to see if you have
3) hyperreflexia
When you have all 3 your neuro will start doing lots of other tests to see if he can find something other than ALS to pin 1), 2), and 3) on. If not, you may become a full-fledged member of this forum.

In the meantime, handle your anxiety because nothing in your story sounds like ALS. All of your pain symptoms indicate it's not ALS and more people twitch from anxiety than from ALS.

Come back when you have
2) muscle atrophy (measurable, not just how it looks to you and not just "dents")
3) hyperreflexia
When you have all 3 your neuro will start doing lots of other tests to see if he can find something other than ALS to pin 1), 2), and 3) on. If not, you may become a full-fledged member of this forum.

In the meantime, handle your anxiety because nothing in your story sounds like ALS. All of your pain symptoms indicate it's not ALS and more people twitch from anxiety than from ALS.

Thank you very much Dusty I think and understand better now.

Come back when you have
3) hyperreflexia

Oh, Also Master Yoda is awesome!

Allow me to pile on as well.

Caboose, I read and considered every symptom you listed and nothing at all sounds like ALS.

On the other hand, you indicated several solid reasons you might see a mental health professional. Good Luck.

Hi. I would like to share my story with you. 10/2012 I noticed a twitch in the bottom of my foot. By 12/2012 the twitching was all over my body, I had severe nerve pain (making any daily activities impossible), insomnia, and had lost almost 30 lbs. in that two months. I was going to the Dr. weekly, as I waited for my appointment with the neuro (4/2013). Once I saw him, I had a CT scan and an EMG. The CT scan came out clean and the EMG was inconclusive. I was referred to UC Davis for a muscle biopsy. At my last appointment with the neuro. He said that although he wasn't positive (this is why he had referred me to Davis) he strongly felt that what I was physically suffering from was a manifestation of stress. While waiting for the appointment at Davis, he wanted me to do as much as I possibly could to reduce stress levels and deal with anything in my life that may be causing stress. I made a drastic life change in this direction. I worked at releasing stress, facing things that were causing stress (not recent things, but things from my past), and learning ways to deal with stress in a positive manner. By 7/2013 I was 70% better and by 9/2013 I was about 90% better. I cancelled my Davis appointment scheduled for the end of September.

I still can have weird twitches and pain, but I notice that they are more when I am overly stressed. I have gained all my weight back and rarely suffer from insomnia. Believe that stress can do some strange and crazy things to our bodies. Almost every and any physical manifestation can be triggered by extreme or prolonged stress. Good luck to you. Don't fall too far down the "rabbit hole" yet. See your doctor and in the mean time try and address any stressful situations and/or issues that you may have.

Glad to hear you are doing so much better Sadsack. Hope it continues for you. Kim

>I worked at releasing stress, facing things that were causing stress (not recent things, but things from my past), and learning ways to deal with stress in a positive manner. By 7/2013 I was 70% better and by 9/2013 I was about 90% better ... Believe that stress can do some strange and crazy things to our bodies. Almost every and any physical manifestation can be triggered by extreme or prolonged stress.

You betcha! good living -- also the are stress-related support groups where you can meet and talk with others, or even a church as there many flavors to choose from w/o any specific denominations demands! :)

Proud of you sadsack for making positive changes!

Thank you! It was a long and scary road. Addressing the stress not only helped me to be physically well, but I am a much happier person now. I want you all to know how much strength I gained from this forum when I was ill. You guys are amazing people. I think about the people on this forum and pray for you all regularly. Thank you, from all the people that you help, encourage, and give strength to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back