CALS
Country
SWE
State
Västerbotten
City
Umeå
Hi!

I've read most of the threads already posted and still don't feel I've found an answer to my question.

I've had temporary muscle twitches all over in my body, and I'm not particularly worried about these since there not focused on one specific muscle.

4 weeks ago I had twitches in a muscle next to my knee cap, and this twitches went on for about 24 hours non stop. Since then I've not been having them again in that muscle. I'm not weak in my leg.

I know it's very rare for ALS to start with twitches, but as i know that it could happen I can't help but to worry. My doctor won't examine me because she thinks it's nothing.

My question is this: can ALS-twitches occur for just 24 hours and then go away for more than a month?

Once I started twitching ( which was after weakness) I have not stopped. Some days I twitch more than others but I believe generally the dying muscle twitches until it is dead and you would certainly have weakness at that point!
Have you looked into bfs in which people seem to experience transient focal twitching in what they call a hotspot

Thank you so much for replying! This information sure helps.

So if I understand this correctly: ALS-twitches always happen because of the muscle dying? In that case I should have noticed some weakness by this point. I had a neuro exam done a few days after the twiching around the knee cap had stopped. Do you know if clinical weakness shows up on this kind of exam?

I know no one can give me a 100 percent answer on the web, but as my doctor refuses to answer any further questions or examine me, I feel kind of desperate.

>but as my doctor refuses to answer any further questions or examine me, I feel kind of desperate.

fire the quack and see a neuro asap

and don't obsess or worry, the prob of als is miniscule. relax, see a real dr. and be happy :)

>

fire the quack and see a neuro asap

This makes me very nervous. Do you think there is reason to see a neuro?

I saw two neoros about 4 weeks ago because of the generall twitching. After a thorough exam they both said: you do not have ALS.

This was very reassuring, but two days after this exam the twitching in the knee cap began. It stopped after 24 hours, but I still felt the need to go see a doctor. I've now seen two doctors about it. The first one did a new neuro exam and said I was healthy. The other one laughed at me and said ALS was out of the question, although she did not perform any kind of exam.

I've been having to medicate on anti-depressants, quit school (studying to be a nurse) and be admitted to the psyche ward because of this ALS-scare, so please know how much I would appreciate some reassurance.

Can anyone answer the question about ALS-twitches and if it's normal for them to come and then go away after 24 hours?

I'm 24 years old and otherwise healthy.

"Do you know if clinical weakness shows up on this kind of exam? "

Clinical weakness is when a muscle fails--you can't stand on your toes or walk on your heels--or you can't lift your foot and leg to walk up stairs... In other words, it's when you CAN'T do something. And it doesn't come and go. The muscle that performs that function has failed and is not coming back. And yes, any neuro will spot clinical weakness during his clinical exam. You do not sound like you have clinical weakness.

The most common causes of twitching are too much caffeine, anxiety, fatigue, etc. Very common things (especially for a 24 year old in nursing school). When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras. When you suffer from a very common ailment like twitching, think of a common cause of that ailment not something so bizarrely rare as ALS.

You have had 2 neuros look at you and tell you it's not ALS. What do you want them to tell you?

If you have had 2 neuros say no ALS no weakness and the twitching lasted 24 hours and went away I would not worry the chances of a ALS if you are not familial in a 24 yo female are very very very small even if you had classic symptoms. As a side note after my diagnosis I was prescribed fluoxetine as a preventive measure against depression. My twitching escalated. I did not realize it was the fluoxetine until I stopped taking it because of another side effects. Twitching then returned to pre diagnosis levels. Are you being followed by a psychiatrist? Please talk to him/her about your fears. I suspect you will be advised that reading si tes like this is unhealthy for you
Good luck

>After a thorough exam they both said: you do not have ALS.

ok, no ALS -- lucky you :)

>Are you being followed by a psychiatrist? Please talk to him/her about your fears. I suspect you will be advised that reading si tes like this is unhealthy for you

ditto that

>After a thorough exam they both said: you do not have ALS.

But this exam was done two days before the focused twitching in my knee began?

Does no one know if ALS-twitches are supposed to come and go or if they're supposed to be constant?

Joyce you are obsessively asking the same question over and over again, just rephrasing it. You don't have ALS. you have gotten your answer from your doctors and from very knowledgeable people here. I guarantee it. you need to get off this website ASAP because it is making you more nervous. The only doctor you need to visit is one who you can discuss your health anxiety with. Regular doctors have given you a clean bill of health...a little twitch that comes and goes for a couple weeks is not an indicator of ALS or a reason to go to a neurologist.

Take your 24 year old generally healthy self and go do something to get your mind busy. Do yoga, volunteer at an animal shelter, take some classes, learn to golf. Just do SOMETHING.

Do you realize you are discussing an occasional twitch with people who are either caring for a dying person or are horribly suffering from this disease? Please let this go and get on with your life...for all of us.

>Do yoga, volunteer at an animal shelter ... Just do SOMETHING.

especially like volunteering at an animal shelter -- the animals will be the best treatment you could hope for :)

And Barbie is right, this forum is not a place for. Good luck.

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. Thank you for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back