Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
WI.
City
Racine
I am 43 years old, male, and am living with a bizarre condition. 25 years ago I attempted suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. I ended up with damage to the basal ganglia. Oh, you may think, you've got Parkinson's. That's what we all thought. However, the symptoms I have are gradually becoming more and more similar to those of als. Weakness in my right hand and wrist has been present for a couple of years now. I have lacked the strength to walk unassisted for a long time. By far the most telling sign, however, is speech. I am, at times, unable to form words. I need to know: could the damage caused by the carbon monoxide be causing a downward spiral into als?

"I have lacked the strength to walk unassisted for a long time."

And you haven't seen a neurologist?

Jacob, no one knows what causes ALS.
You might have brain damage or maybe nerve damage or who knows?
Are you under a doctor's care?

To the two responders: oh my gosh, yes, I have seen many neurologists since the poisoning, but not for almost five years now. I think the fact that it was a suicide attempt keeps them from telling me the truth. I suppose after twenty-five years of living with brain damage, my condition might begin to resemble a lot of conditions. Most people who have the kind of damage that I have spontaneously recover.

Jacob, I certainly understand what you mean.

Remember that the odds of having ALS are incredibly low. You needn't worry about it unless you're diagnosed with it. Live life the best your can.
But please do see a neurologist. They can perform many tests to rule out many other diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back