Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SWE
State
N/A
City
Malmo
I finally had my first EMG done a few weeks back. I got the test result from my GP (who ordered the test) and I was told it was normal. That is as far as details about the result goes.

Good of course it was normal, but I still wonder about the details of the EMG. The test itself was done by some doctor specializing in "clinical neurophysiology" who I can't contact for test details as all correspondance goes via my GP. And he just got the result as such and is not able to answer any detailed questions about it. So I try here instead.

My concern is that when the test was performed I seemed to have a lot of spontaneous activity. Actually, none of the muscles tested (about 7-8 in total) was quiet at rest. In every muscle I heard a constant, regular "blop" when the muscle was relaxed. The frequency was around 3-4 Hz. From what I have read that is the characteristics of fibrillations.

As many people on this board has alot of EMG knowledge, I wonder:

1. Could that constant "blop" be something other than fibrillations?
2. If it actually is fibrillations, could it be considered "normal" to have that in every muscle tested?
3. Would it be possible to have widespread fibrillations due to denervation without having profound weakness?

Thanks /Mulle

As far I remember my EMG was fairly noisy even in the normal muscles. If your neurophysiologist saw something abnormal do you not believe h/she would have reported it. Can you get the full report not just the interpretation? Maybe that would reassure you? But I would believe the report and be happy!

My second EMG was kind of like that. Verbally told my results were abnormal and discussed vaguely. It took about a month of calls, but I finally got the actual test. Very handy when you want to compare to subsequent tests. I would agree with Nikki, "believe... and be happy", but if you are not going to believe it, then you need the test--either to reassure yourself or to give to your next neuro.

Mulle, i am from Sweden too, so hopefully I can advice you how to get hold of what you need.

As a patient, even if you get a refererral, you should be able to download a form from your hospital archive section or speak directly to your GP and ask for both your journal and your complete charts. This is what I did and I got my EMG report and full chart.

What you describe as "blops" could be a lot of things, if they were fibrillations, that would be noted in your report.

As far I remember my EMG was fairly noisy even in the normal muscles. If your neurophysiologist saw something abnormal do you not believe h/she would have reported it. Can you get the full report not just the interpretation? Maybe that would reassure you? But I would believe the report and be happy!
Yes, I do hope and believe that he would. But what one doc considers normal, maybe someone else doesn't. Maybe it was fibrillations but as no weakness was found he considered it to be normal? Right now I can only guess but I want to know what it was I heard. If I knew back then what I know now about what they actually look for in the EMG, I would have asked him at that time.

I really try not to worry too much but the twitching, cramps, atrophy (or lets call it asymmetry as I still feel I have quite good strength) and other odd "stuff" keeps reminding me.

My second EMG was kind of like that. Verbally told my results were abnormal and discussed vaguely. It took about a month of calls, but I finally got the actual test. Very handy when you want to compare to subsequent tests. I would agree with Nikki, "believe... and be happy", but if you are not going to believe it, then you need the test--either to reassure yourself or to give to your next neuro.
The only thing I was told by the doc performing the test was that he did not see anything extraordinary at the time of the test but was going to analyze it further.

At the time of your second EMG, do you remember how your symptoms were back then? Any obvious weakness or other functional symptoms?

Mulle, i am from Sweden too, so hopefully I can advice you how to get hold of what you need.

As a patient, even if you get a refererral, you should be able to download a form from your hospital archive section or speak directly to your GP and ask for both your journal and your complete charts. This is what I did and I got my EMG report and full chart.

What you describe as "blops" could be a lot of things, if they were fibrillations, that would be noted in your report.
Tack! I found the form and have sent a request to my hospital now.

"But what one doc considers normal, maybe someone else doesn't. Maybe it was fibrillations but as no weakness was found he considered it to be normal?"

No, I don't think so. EMGs are pretty specific and fibs are spontaneously firing action potentials originating from denervated single muscle fibers. And denervated muscle fibers are not normal. If the EMG showed fibrillation, it would show on the EMG and the neuro would note it on his summary or conclusion.

"At the time of your second EMG, do you remember how your symptoms were back then? Any obvious weakness or other functional symptoms?"

Yes, my first symptom was clinical weakness in calves and feet. This then caused me to notice measurable atrophy in left calf.

Ok, I received the complete EMG report today. I could not understand all of it but it was clearly stated that no fibrillations or spontaneous activity were found. So, the activity I heard was something else obviously.

The conclusion said there were no signs of denervation and nothing clearly pointing towards an MND. What he did find was a "discrete and unspecified finding on m tibialis anterior" (front of lower leg), pointing towards a partial peroneus (?) damage or impact on L5. Whatever that means...
The doctor who performed the test is head of the neurophysiology clinic in one of the major swedish hospitals so he should know what he is doing, I guess.

Reading the report definitely was relieving. There is still alot of weird things going on in my body though, but hopefully some symtoms goes away now that I should be able to relax a little and not spend every minute of the day worrying. If not, I may be back here, but for now I will leave the forum and try to focus on everything else except my own health. I just want to thank you for sharing knowledge and support. This forum is very special. In a good way! Thanks.

One last thing. I have decided to start making monthly donations to an ALS foundation. I hope all of you that does not have an ALS diagnose can do the same. It is just insane that in 2014 people keeps dying because of this awful desease while billions of $ are spent on developing ridiculous things like smartphones (I work for one of those companies...) instead of finding a drug for this one.

/ Mulle

Mulle - that's great news for you. I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone, well, maybe my brother's wife ;). I pray that you continue to be disease free.

Thank you for donations. It might be yours that finds a cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back