Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MO
City
st. louis
I'm still here regardless of the people who think I'm just anxious.

Well two things... One... I have obvious atrophy in my right tricep noticed by everyone I have shown. It is located in the exact place I've been twitching off and on for almost 3 months now. I can and will provide pics tomorrow. I had MRI of brain and cervical spine done tonight... Awaiting results.

Usually I like being right but in this case I hope I'm very wrong. There is a large divot on the right where my medial tricep head used to be and still is on the left.

Thanks to those that have been kind and patient with me... I wanted to leave here but now I'm here. I'm very frightened... It started with severe pain over the scapula that went away and progressed into painless twitching with numb fingers and now this atrophy. I'll know more as the week goes on and I see the neuro.

Like i said before i had sensory annormalities in all 4 limbs.

What else could cause this? I don't even care about my own life really... If I didn't have a son I love and to look after I could die tomorrow and care less...

Thanks for listening.

T

Hi, T --

> I wanted to leave here but now I'm here. I'm very frightened

I am sure you are, but now is the time to let the MD's do their deal. I am dying of ALS. Hopefully you are not. Don't waste life's time here or other forums. Live it up! As you have said, you have a son to live for! Enjoy it...

Seriously, give yourself a break. Go out and have some fun. No need to hang out here with a bunch of sicko's and their CALS :).

Seriously, go away for a while!

P.S. that is really meant in kindness :)

Max that was very kind and compassionate of you. The anxiety is one thing.... Realization is a whole different monster... I'm somewhere in between...

If nothing else I've learned to not take for granted my sons gentle sweet touch and innocence ... His beautiful little eyes and the smell of his sweaty head after playing a grueling game of hockey.

Of course our time is short here and things make us realize it everyday, in some ways more than others.... I took what you said in kindness and may the rest of your days be blessed with as much of life's beauty as possible.

Thank you , sir , and may you have a great night.
T

That is not a camera or angle trick... It's a divot/missing mass under my arm

That's my natural meaty/chubby arm

This sucks complete a$$ , I know a lot of people here can identify with my now, justifiable fears.

Like I said before, I'm here for anyone that needs a person to talk to.

All the best,

T

Hi T;
I had almost the exact same symptoms as you nearly 10 years ago, extreme pain in Left scapula, radiating down left arm. My left arm atrophied so that it was 3 inches thinner than my right. That is extreme, and you could feel my humerus like there was no muscle on the back of my arm. In the end I had a bone spur that was impinging on the nerve at C5-6, had surgery, and am left with a 30% deficit in that arm. I have fasciculation off an on, but mostly when I work too hard. I still have some numbness in my 2nd & 3rd finger tip even after 7 years. So there is something else it could be. I am glad that you got the MRI as that will show if it is nerve impingement.

The only pain or numbness my husband has is associated to the herniated disc he has in his back from years ago, not his ALS. He has said many times, that he forgets that there is anything wrong with him, until he goes to move, and he can't, not from the neck down.

Paulette

Hi T;
I had almost the exact same symptoms as you nearly 10 years ago, extreme pain in Left scapula, radiating down left arm. My left arm atrophied so that it was 3 inches thinner than my right. That is extreme, and you could feel my humerus like there was no muscle on the back of my arm. In the end I had a bone spur that was impinging on the nerve at C5-6, had surgery, and am left with a 30% deficit in that arm. I have fasciculation off an on, but mostly when I work too hard. I still have some numbness in my 2nd & 3rd finger tip even after 7 years. So there is something else it could be. I am glad that you got the MRI as that will show if it is nerve impingement.

The only pain or numbness my husband has is associated to the herniated disc he has in his back from years ago, not his ALS. He has said many times, that he forgets that there is anything wrong with him, until he goes to move, and he can't, not from the neck down.

Paulette

Paulette,

My deepest and most sincere sympathies for you and your husband. Life can be a brutal and cruel joke as much as it can be a beautiful and amazing thing. Hopefully your husband's days are filled with the caring warmth I am sure you provide for him.

I posted pictures of my arm but they have to be ok'd by the moderator first.

I'm (glad) to hear your personal cervical spine story... Not glad you had the issue, but glad there's a hope for my prognosis outside of ALS. I'm hoping and thinking nerve impingement is the issue... I have a family history of bad backs and I've been so hard on my body thru the years... I can sometimes feel a faint pain where my c5 6 or 7 would be if I knew what in the hell I was talking about in terms of anatomy.

The pain was like 2-3 weeks of a toothache like feeling in my shoulder blade... It was awful and was worse when I sat down at my desk... Fingers and such would go numb and the twitching would go berserk. The pain left and then I was left with numbness and fasiculations with the occasional shooting pain in other areas down the arm and chest. PT has seemed to help some, but when I saw/noticed my arm, my heart sank into my stomach.

The waiting game is hell as everyone on this forum surely knows. I have been able to (almost) catch the lousy arm up in strength but the muscle is barely there. I guess that's a good sign? Anyway thanks for the reply.... Every bit of info, contact, assurance, etc count as far as this goes. Tomorrow will be a big day for me, and mi hoping I have a jacked up cervical mri.

Continue to take care of that man of yours and thank you for the reply. May peace and warmth be on his and your side.

You can talk to me or message me if you ever need a shoulder to lean on, that's a promise!

All the best!

T

Just a month ago in your first Thread you posted,

( In late december 2013 i make it to the neuro and he said all of my neurological signs seem to be 'normal' (no brisk reflexes, occular issues, balance or strength etc) but he sent me for blood testing , an EMG and NCS.

EMG AND NCS done late Jan 2014

EMG was done both feet, lower legs, hands , forearms , triceps - all normal )

Your anxiety has you a month later saying, "Told ya so." It's really, "Don't think so."

PS. Re-read the replies in your first Thread. Try to move on with your life. You don't have ALS.

"Like i said before i had sensory annormalities in all 4 limbs."
Which makes it not sound like ALS.
The atrophy could be from a C7 radiculopathy. Let's see what the MRI says.

Well I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything in my life.

>Well I've never wanted to be more wrong about anything in my life.

You know, you have more meat on your arms than I now have on my thighs! :)

Max,

That made me chuckle and feel sad all at once. Your input/support/comic relief is a nice bright spot of my day so far. Be good, brother.

T

Energy, to be honest I have not read your earlier posts, just this one. You do realize that atrophy is more commonly caused by nerve impingement( already mentioned above). You have lots of signs for an impingement issue...all of which are leading your diagnosis well and truly away from ALS. The sensory issues are your best friend. You stated you have sensory abnormalities......in your hand as well. Hopefully the MRI results will help you and your anxiety, as for the fasciculations, I would discard those. They are just way too common especially in muscles that are doing a lot of exercise as it seems those hugely muscular arms are used to. The anxiety sucks, but you can control this. Don't let it take hold. Anxiety causes a whole lot of weird symptoms. Looking at our bodies too closely does exactly the same. I wish you the best.

Energy--T, I have read your previous posts. You don't have ALS, but you offer yourself up if anyone needs to talk.
Actually, though it may be hard to accept, that's not appreciated.
This forum is for people with ALS to counsel each other. We PALS and CALS literally understand the fatal diagnosis and so understand each other's burden well. I've read your posts and you do not understand the ALS experience.
Please attend to your own problems elsewhere. You're taking up our time and energy, and that's rude at least.

Energy--T, I have read your previous posts. You don't have ALS, but you offer yourself up if anyone needs to talk.
Actually, though it may be hard to accept, that's not appreciated.
This forum is for people with ALS to counsel each other. We PALS and CALS literally understand the fatal diagnosis and so understand each other's burden well. I've read your posts and you do not understand the ALS experience.
Please attend to your own problems elsewhere. You're taking up our time and energy, and that's rude at least.

This forum is about 'if' and people who are unsure... As well as learning... And in some cases making friends with people who may need an ear.

Who is anyone to say who does and doesn't belong here? I haven't gone into other forums and done anything... Here I've learned a lot, met a lot of people and when I'm sure 100% I'm mnd free! I'll be on my way but keeping up with those who wish to have an ear from a caring person.

Why make this about a group to loathe together? If anything the fight against als has gained someone with awareness , oh and I raised $200 towards als research on a walk I did last year,,,, I can prove that too if I must.

Without the caring and compassionate what do you have? A bunch of *******s that don't care? Well I do and I can't help that. You have the choice to ignore me... Not everyone has to... I hunger to bring positivity and warmth to those who feel alone, scared or lost... I'm no saint nor a martyr.... I'm just a guy who is/was scared, learned a lot and offer myself to anyone that needs input. And until my doctor says , als is not an option for you 100% I'll continue to post here.

Every part of my body aches and cramps... My hands from typing this... When I'm done being skeptical of a clean diagnosis 'Energy1' will be nothing but a long gone memory for all. T will be around for anyone who needs him.

I've just joined this forum but I'm a bit dismayed at some answers appear aggressive or dismissive.
It is natural to have strong emotions after receiving a life changing serious illness,however there seems to be a bit of a tendency to treat those who likely don't have this illness with disrespect.
If somebody doesn't like a question then simply don't answer it.Conserve your energy.
However,people with questions and concerns have a right to post.

There also appears to be a tendency to treat those with symptoms that don't quite fit ALS as time wasters,fools who don't know how good they've got it and arnt out there enjoying and appreciating it.
Also black and white thinking.Ie:If they don't have ALS then they must have anxiety causing their symptoms.
Unfortunately,I feel that those types of attitudes on this forum are picked up from Neurologists,who often also are dismissive etc..

The fact us while many asking whether they have ALS in most likelihood don't have it,at the same time they don't necessarily have anxiety as the other default diagnosis.
Some of these people have other disorders,whether Mitochondrial or otherwise,some which are just as serious as ALS,although not always,but nobody should dismiss another persons story.

"Energy"-A more like possibility for you may be a Radiculopathy.It would be interesting to know what the MRI says.
In addition,how often do you weighttrain?
Are you drinking sufficient water and have your Magnesium levels been checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back