Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SWE
State
Stockholm
City
Stockholm
This has been going on quite a while. Started with numbness in my feet and hands about a year ago. It was so painful getting the emotion back in my feet and hands...
Those symtoms came and went. Then about a few months ago it started getting worse.
Real servere cramping when doing dishes and other tasks. Sometimes I even have this kind of cramp where the fingers just get stuck and I can't move them for a few seconds...
But the most recent problem is that the muscle between the pointing finger and my thumbs start to cramp at the slightest thing... I even have pain now when typing this thread...
And today when I woke up I couldn't move my hands and they were all asleep.

This is actually starting to freak me out.

Other symptoms which may not be related to my hand and feet problem is fatigue (I slept 12 hours from yesterday to today, brain fog, difficulty concentrating)...

My hands and feet also fall get tingly very quickly.

Does this sound as this could be symtoms of ALS? It is worse in my left hand but also apparent in my right, but right now I am having more problems from the left hand.

What I was going to say about the thing where my hands just get stuck is that the fingers just curl in a position and I can't move them for a few seconds.. This happens usually if I try to ignore the cramping in the muscle between my pointing finger and thumb.
The scariest thing was though this morning when waking up and not being able to move them and they were just like not part of my body.
Or when they curl in a position when I can't move them for a few seconds, not having control. I hate the tingling and the numbness as well.

You might start by reading the stickies ot the top of the e"Do I Have ALS? Is This ALS?" forum. there is a lot of good info there for when you meet with your physician. That is a good starting point.

Regards,

Max

I have been reading quite a while about both ALS and MS and I have no clue as what people describe is always different than what I am describing hence I want individual feedback. I have had this for so long that i've read lots about it. Thanks for your advice though.

What does your doctor say?
What tests have been done?

You must have had investigations being done if it's been going on quite a while.

As Max said, please read the stickies.

Then see your doctor again, the numbness doesn't sound like ALS.

...numbness... painful... tingly
ALS is not sensory.
...those symptoms came and went...
ALS symptoms don't come and go.
No, it doesn't sound like ALS, but read the stickies again. And as Tillie asked, "What does your doctor say? What tests have been done?"

As an aside but that sounds like diabetic neuropathy kicking in...I have it and it made my ALS diagnosis a needle in a haystack. It is the ultimate masker so perhaps you might like to get that and/or thyroid disorders looked at...if you have a good neuro you have covered that base but if not, you might investigate.

What does your doctor say?
What tests have been done?

You must have had investigations being done if it's been going on quite a while.

As Max said, please read the stickies.

Then see your doctor again, the numbness doesn't sound like ALS.

Tillie

I haven't been to a doctor yet. And being in Sweden where healthcare isn't as it used to be... I have problems trusting them... I feel so weak in my hands. I feel like I will drop the glass when drinking. Almost like it's not my hands, like only part of my hands' strength too..

...numbness... painful... tingly
ALS is not sensory.
...those symptoms came and went...
ALS symptoms don't come and go.
No, it doesn't sound like ALS, but read the stickies again. And as Tillie asked, "What does your doctor say? What tests have been done?"

No tests at all. I forgot to tell my thyroid doctor (I have hypothyroidism and it is under control since years...).

So will have to call the other doctor as I don't see my thyroid doctor for another three months. I feel I can't wait. I can't hardly type now. Today my left hand is by far worse. It is so painful but what is new today is that today the index finger joint (the one in the palm) is really hurting. Real severe pain, especially when using my left hand...

As an aside but that sounds like diabetic neuropathy kicking in...I have it and it made my ALS diagnosis a needle in a haystack. It is the ultimate masker so perhaps you might like to get that and/or thyroid disorders looked at...if you have a good neuro you have covered that base but if not, you might investigate.

Unfortunately it is not my thyroid, it is under control and all values are ok. Unfortunately.

With a history of hypothyroid I would check with your endocrinologist an extra time to be sure, since you probably know it can cause paresthesia ( pins and needles, tingling ). Brain Fog and concentration issues falls under hypothyroid symptoms as well.

From what I have learned, ALS is non-sensory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back